Monday, 23 March 2015

More Cork Terrain


As part of my campaign to refresh and unify my terrain collection, I decided to turn my old stepped hills into rocky outcrops, as they were really too shallow to be very useful. I recently bought some cork trivets at Tiger to make thicker hills with, and the offcuts came in handy for shaping into slanted spires. These were superglued to the hills, then crumbled cork glued into the gaps with PVA.




A mix of 50/50 PVA and burnt umber craft paint was employed to basecoat and seal the fresh cork, then 2 layers of drybrushing finished them off. Some static grass here and there, job done. These will combine nicely with both my shanty buildings and jungle pieces. If you're working in 15mm, you really don't need to bother with polystyrene or pink foam... Cork is heavier, stronger, easier to glue, easier to paint and less toxic.


12 comments:

  1. Nice work! Lots of cover and maneuverability for the troops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jay! Over the last week I've got enough terrain re-based and built to easily handle a game. That's next on the list!

      Delete
  2. Well, I know what I'll be doing with the cork languishing around in my garage.

    Excellent scatter terrain idea and execution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear! I use a small pair of pliers to break off small chunks, helps get nice detail.

      Delete
  3. I really like when you share some of your secrets for getting great looking results.
    You mentioned how you are usually too lazy to share "how to's" , so I extra especially appreciate when you do. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! The real problem is I don't like stopping to take photos while I'm working. Describing the process afterwards doesn't interfere with my painting :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for posting this. They look amazing while still using elevation levels. I think these are the best hills/mountains I've seen yet that can be used with elevation levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like most of what I do, it's nothing really new, just trying to work the limitations of the task into something that looks nice. Hills are really more important in big mass battle games so are not really necessary for the skirmishes I occasionally play, but these should help make wasteland encounters a little more interesting.

      Delete