Friday, 22 August 2014

5 Parsecs from home- Campaign start

I have been spending a lot of time messing around with rosters and QRS sheets convenient to use on my 13" laptop while playing 5 Parsecs. I don't have a printer you see. Unfortunately, in the heat of design, I accidentally deleted part of my original roster. Oops.

No matter, I'll write off the crew of the Patagonia as a test run. A story this crew heard in a bar... Which coincidentally is what I rolled for how they met. A cliche, but hey- If it's good enough for countless RPG campaign beginnings it's good enough for me.
I salvaged what I could, and rolled up what I couldn't remember. This time I used my own house rules to help generate the crew, as is suggested under "freeform characters" on page 23.
My method was to choose my set of 5 figures first. In this case, the free trader crew set from Khurasan (of course) which I have been dying to use for something for a long time.
I rolled all the human characters as normal (some of these were salvaged from my first crew, as I really liked Jella Hart, the outlaw country singer from a rich family. Archer fans will know why this is so funny) but selected "Orange class alien" and randomised between "Droid" and "warbot" for the mechanical member of the crew. I rolled 3 alien traits for Toros, and added "UNITY enforcers" as a group enemy, as Orange class aliens are hunted by the law.

Next, I simply gave each figure the weapon/weapons on the sculpt. Saves a lot of conversion headaches I would otherwise give myself. To "make up" for this, I also roll one drawback assigned to a random member of the group. (whoops, have not done this yet in the JPG)


And there's how it went down. A very eventful campaign turn and a short scuffle with the law. Feelings were hurt, jaws were hurt... Nobody made any money.
Just another day on the Fringe!

(Sadly, I got  phone call in the middle of extracting jpgs of my rosters and accidentally deleted them. That will teach me to do that. Just pics and brief write ups from now on I think.)

27 comments:

  1. Good work. I was doing the same thing last night but with rosters I can print out.I can't use the laptop at night at the wife uses it so I need paper sheets, I never delete things, my problem is clicking save before shutting down. cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mistake was combining everything into one doc. Much safer keeping the roster separate from the reports.

      Delete
  2. OK, that's it... Just bought the PDFs. See what you've done?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you able to provide blank sheets by chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would if I didn't delete the roster. I can send you the report sheet if you like (it is in apple pages format.. I don't use PC's at home) shoot me an email thespacejacker(at)gmaildotcom

      Delete
  4. This looks great! Thank you for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Once I muster the morale to rebuild my crew roster again there will be more :)

      Delete
  5. @ Trojan Points: Yap, me too. This may turn into 5 parsec disease...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If its a disease, I don't want to be well. ;)

      Delete
  6. If you have a word doc or excel set-up to issue the episode summaries, can you share? Would save me time copying you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Samulus, only apple pages format. I only suffer word and excel if somebody is paying me to do it. Although ironically, if I had been using excel, I wouldn't have lost my data. Ah well.

      Delete
  7. Nice write up and a good start, I'll have to take a deeper look into this thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whether it was from this blog or from dropshiphorizon, a LOT of people seem to have bought in. I am super happy :)

    I like the idea of basing the weapons on what the model has. I figured a lot of people will use that option, unless you have a very large collection of figures.
    The 28mm types are probably easier for conversions, Necromunda style.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Inspirational stuff, thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Alexander, more to come soon ;)

      Delete
  10. Welcome back Jacker. Our group just got these rules and we will be playtesting soon. sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to help as always LA, hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  11. That read like so much fun I got off the fence and bought the PDF bundle last night. Then stayed up way too late generating a crew. Hopefully, I'll get to play at the weekend. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is definitely an addictive original Traveller quality to the 5 parsecs system, worth the price of admission alone :)

      Delete
  12. Ok I am sold, and ordered a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice compact description, just feeling my way through the rules. Just started my own blog on the strength of the rules. http://tearsfromthefront.blogspot.co.uk/


    Will you be using miniatures in the future ?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, found the other entries and thought they were very good. I did think that your starship layout looked a bit odd in "Boarded", but on reflection, they would have odd shaped Storage and secret compartments here and there, so it did work out. Maybe include a Map section ?

    ReplyDelete