Thursday, 30 January 2014

More work on the Restaurant


Yes, I ended up adding extra parts instead of beginning to paint it.
The front door of the restaurant was looking a little plain, and not very faux-oriental. So I built up the entrance with some more cut-up cardboard.
While waiting for that to dry, some more relief detail on the walls didn't seem like a bad idea, so more foam sheet was sliced to oblige.
Once that was on, the roof looked a bit big and flat, so a bunch of off-cuts became a landing pad. It didn't look very functional so it got some stairs. Then it looked inaccessible, so I built a roof stairwell. Then a pathway.

One interesting thing: When making to roof for the stairwell, I didn't have any card to hand of the thickness I wanted. I did have a little piece of styrene sheet though. Thinking a clean bend would look better than a seam, I tried to fold it around my steel ruler. It cracked.
After a think, I cut another piece.Went over to the hob/stove/cooktop (depending on where you live) and wrapped one end of the steel ruler in a tea towel to protect my hand, then heated the end over the flame. I then pushed the hot end of the steel ruler against where I wanted the bend to go and carefully applied pressure. It worked very well, and I'm now considering the many possibilities of formed styrene sheet to use alongside foam and card.

More soon!

16 comments:

  1. This is really coming together nicely! When you're all finished would you mind giving us an estimate as to how long it took you to put it together? You've inspired me to think about doing a similar project but I'd like to know just how much of a time commitment I'd be getting myself into ;)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's difficult to say for sure because I tend to do other things while glue or paint is drying, which is what takes the longest. Probably about 4 hours total of cutting, gluing and painting so far over 2 evenings- interspersed with eating dinner, watching TV and building other stuff. I also pause to think quite a lot. Hurrying leads to mistakes.

      Delete
  2. Looks great, but what did you bend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The roof piece on top of the stairwell. It's not really a big deal, just interesting to learn a new technique.

      Delete
  3. Sweet getting better and better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's turning into a bit of a monster! I've really bitten off quite a lot with this build. Trying to figure out a way to make the sign super fancy right now...Putting some paint on today too hopefully.

      Delete
  4. Lookin' good, Jacker.

    (If I ever construct an edifice like this beautiful one, I plan to call it Master Feengs Chun Foo Restaurant and Card Parlor.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay! When I complete this set of terrain I want to think of a way to quickly make attractive interiors that work a bit like cinema/tv sets. This was inspired by the 7tv printable sets by Kevin Dallimore, and your vignettes!

      Delete
  5. awesome. Please tell me you are going to light this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just got back from the electronics store looking for battery holders.. Came up empty. This means I will have to do more jury rigging than I hoped, but YES, there will be (possibly multiple) LED lighting on this puppy :)

      Delete
  6. Interesting use of the foam board. I can't recall having seen anything like this in the UK, but then I'm not that observant...perhaps a quick Google? I seem to remember you described it as similar to the inside of foamboard, is that correct? Also, does it take paint well? Anyhow, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's exactly the same as foam core board with the paper peeled off. I often peel the paper off foam core anyway, so this just saved me the hassle. It paints very well, yes!

      Delete
  7. Really inspired work there sir! I don't know if this is what your going for or not, but for some reason I'm getting a strong blade runner vibe from it. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The city project started off going for "infinity" and failing. Now I've started dirtying it up, it's slipping into blade runner :)

      Delete
  8. Looks Greta; hace you added texture (left pic) lime vallejo's pumice paste or something in the likes??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used Stone Textured house paint as a base coat. Mixed from the hardware store. It does not contain sand or grit, which I don't like using on large areas (scratches minis). The texture is some kind of soft material.

      Delete