Friday, 24 January 2014

Khurasan Helmeted Resistance and cheap buildings


Here is some recent work I did for Jon from Khurasan miniatures, who is an amazing fellow.

He asked if I could try a military scheme on these minis, and very generously sent me a pack. As they are armed with "pulse rifles" that look a lot like AK47's, I decided to use them as fodder troops alongside my Armies Army Rusks. This made the color scheme simple... Russian green armor/webbing, black fatigues.

The painting went extremely fast. I think the whole lot took about an hour.
 I undercoated in light grey, painted the green and flesh areas, then washed the whole mini in Army painter strong tone.
Once dry, I highlighted the green and flesh areas, then painted the fatigues and weapons black.
Once the black dried I did 2 highlight passes of dark grey and light grey, and dabbed some chainmail onto the gun's metal bits.

I have had the unhelmeted versions sitting in my drawer for a long time, to paint as wasteland homesteaders. It will be interesting to get them looking different to these with color alone.

"What's that terrain in the background though Spacejacker?" I hear you cry. Its was an experiment using cardboard boxes from the craft store as buildings. Very quick and easy, and best of all cheap... They cost about $1 each not counting the bits I stuck on.


Thanks for looking!


25 comments:

  1. Not bad, and I like the cheap buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I like cheap anything when it comes to miniatures ;)

      Delete
    2. Very cool the buildings, thanks so much to share it

      Delete
  2. The buildings look amazing. I like the broken glass, looks very realistic.
    Another nice paintjob on the miniatures by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wouter! The windows are actually very easy. Paint the pane codex grey, then pain in the cracks and holes using simple straight lines. Then "highlight" the tips of the shards with very light grey. It's quite fast!

      Delete
  3. Nice work- but the buildings are great! Whenever I've seen those boxes, I've idly thought of the stereotypical middle eastern adobe look, but yours have a very western industrial look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Barks! Yeah I'm not a fan of the classic adobe. I think I might add more to these to make them less boxy.

      Delete
  4. Hey Jacker. Nice work on the buildings. I have a stash of these myself. Square, rectangle, round, and they make capital letters, so you can use an H or E or I as long buildings, admin buildings or even hallways connecting boxes.

    Nice to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers LA! I spied those myself, but I have held back for now. I promised myself I'd finish off the Mad Mexha Guy MDF stuff I have before scratch building any more terrain ;)

      Delete
  5. Nice painting, Jacker. And the buildings are very nice. For me, these structures are the best "quicky-paper" buildings I've ever seen. This method allows one to remove the roof and expose the interior. I'm thinking...Twin Palms Bar and Grill facility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jay! I wanted to try something that was very easy without looking too bland. The work is in the decoration, but its a lot of fun so I don't mind.

      Delete
  6. I agree with comments above- cheap boxes for buildings? It's so obvious, but very well executed. The painting of the figures is, of course, to the usual exemplary standard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much GR! These were about the correct height and represented a saving in time putting them together. If if thought about it harder they could have doubled as a storage system for smaller pieces. Perhaps another batch is in order.

      Delete
  7. If you turn the lids upside down, you can get a parapet on the buildings. More cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thinking, I didn't even consider that.

      Delete
  8. Nice paintjobs, those buildings are ace I'll have to keep my eye out for some boxes like that Very effective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate! A big terrain post coming up next that I hope you like too!

      Delete
  9. Consider that buildings-building formula stolen! I'll be looking for those kind of boxes on Monday...

    They look ver y videogame-ish to me. Like an alley from call of duty or battlefield.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that, I built them while reading the rules "the battlefield" which simulate video game combat in modern theaters!

      Delete
  10. That's absolutely genious!
    Just out of interest / because I want to steal your idea :D what dimensions are your boxes??

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I saw the first picture I thought, "Where did he get those nice resin buildings?" I would not have known otherwise had you not included the pic of the boxes. Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark! I find the weight of resin buildings makes them hard to store and transport. They must be of significantly interesting shape (ie: not a box which I can easily make out of something else) to warrant purchase!

      Delete
  12. "What's that terrain in the background though Spacejacker?"

    ReplyDelete