Wednesday, 22 January 2014

Black Undercoat Technique Tutorial

Slightly converted wasteland bikers from TheScene
Welcome to another recycled-from-instagram tutorial!

These were some Rough Rider models from TheScene that I wanted to paint up for Post-apoc gaming. I left off the cannons that are supplied with the models and squished blobs of putty to make stowage covering the holes. I also sculpted a hockey mask for the leader, who I pinned to the 25mm slotta base doing a wheelie.

I was going for a really dirty look, so these guys were a lot of fun to paint, as I could be quite messy. Here are the photos I took while working them up:


I painted on all the base colors first, then did a Vallejo Umber Wash over the bike, and picked out the faces with flesh wash, and a little extra shading with Citadel Nuln oil wash on the weapons etc. Some highlights after that completed the work.

I see now that I've left out a good deal of what else I did, but they were so fast to paint I forgot to take any pictures after the rust was dry. The toughest part was probably freehanding the decorations onto the bike front-plates.

Thanks for looking!

13 comments:

  1. Another nice paintjob there.
    I did the same with the guns on my bikes, it made them look to much like the old 40k Ork bikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that these were originally space orc bikers that had their faces changed to comply with IP law. I'm glad they did though, great biker minis!

      Delete
  2. Oh, yeah! Sweet! You've made these bikers come alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jay! I like how the blonde one looks afraid. Probably a pothole ahead.

      Delete
  3. Nice job they look great and its good to see how people paint up from black I always struggle and miss detail when painting over black.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like building up from black, but only if it's a dark or metallic scheme, otherwise it's a bit of a pain.

      Delete
  4. Like all people who are good at stuff, it seems so simple when you set it out like this, yet when I get my gorilla's mitts on things, it all goes horribly wrong! That's not to say that this isn't helpful at all, 'cos it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sorry GR, these "tutorials" are more like WIP shots that don't explain everything. It's all in the practice really.. I certainly don't use any techniques that haven't been around for decades.

      Delete
    2. This wasn't a criticism- far from it!

      Delete
  5. Love that ditrty look but the hokey masked leader is what made my day...I'd love to see less blondies and more pink or green haired mohawks tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mad Max 2 only had blonde and red mohawks, so that's how I'm doing my road outlaws... You might catch some blue or green when I get my cyberpunk stuff from Khurasan though!

      Delete
  6. See, homework won't kill you. Get that Hot Wheels weathering up hombré!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just let me live my own life Sanch.
      -Garth Marengie

      Delete