Tuesday, 28 January 2014

3 floor MMG Building

Front
Back
Here are some shots of my recent work on 15mm buildings from Mad Mecha Guy. They are MDF and come complete with interior walls.

I liked the buildings, but for me they needed a lot of extra work. I based this one on a rectangle of MDF which I carved sidewalk panels into using a craft knife and straightedge. The idea is I arrange my city terrain on top of my Zuzzy "broken blacktop" mat so I don't need individual road pieces. this allows the flexibility to create layout of any shape without unsightly seams.

The open windows were the first eyesore. After the painting was done, I glued in foil covered card to try to make the finished piece look more like a city building than semi-built structure. Next, I pulled out all the interior walls. The spaces they created were too small and fiddly for gaming IMO. I split each of my buildings into 2 or less distinct areas and put in some semi-obstructing simple walls instead.

Interiors
I added some random foam shapes and other bits and bobs to the exterior to try to make it less boxy. I also used a discarded interior wall to make the sign-y thing on the front.
I printed out a bunch of tiny posters and placards to look more lived-in.

Top floor detail... Wallpaper!

Finally, I used clump foliage to try to break up the great grey expanses with planters.

Overall, I like the buildings and they were a great price. No complaints. When I bought them I had the vague idea of using them for both modern and Sci-fi... This was a big mistake on my part. By trying to paint them to work in both situations, I came up with something that I found really dreary. To be honest I still think they are too much on the 'boxy' side, but maybe I can keep gluing bits on until I'm happy. More to come, I've got more of these than will fit on a 2x2 all done.

22 comments:

  1. That slab style apartment building could easily be 60's or 70's urban monolith or new colonies prefab. With angled corner sleeves, the building could almost be art deco.

    Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corner sleeves are a good idea. I might try to make some for my other buildings tonight!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I'll count that as a double thumbs-up. :)

      Delete
  3. I wish someone would do MDF buildings without the tabs. I am not a casual gamer or modeler. I can assemble a building without needing to put tab B in Slot A. Horizontal lines you can hide and or build into the facade, but the keyed tabs really break the illusion for me.

    You did a great job on them. And if they are a good buy then even better. Nothing worse than cutting windows in gator board or plywood or foamcore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tabs bother me too, more the ones used to hold the various levels together than the corners. Both can be covered with card, but it's a pain.I built a Chinese restaurant last night out of scraps of foam and card. It taught me that I don't really need to buy buildings.These are very sturdy though!

      Delete
    2. I can do versions without tabs if wanted.

      The tabs are partly there as strengthening as MDF edge can de-laminate/rip apart if pressed across end. Would have to include internal blocks or L plate to reinforce walls. Can use stucco to fill the tab holes.

      Have been meaning to alter where the wall & floor meets to reduce the external signature of the floor

      Regards

      MMG.

      Delete
  4. Very nicely done. I especially like the use of foliage and the sign you made on the side of the building. I don't suppose the lower floor could be made into a shop, with the upper floors residential?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have a LOT of shops, so didn't feel like another was warranted. But you could easily do so, yes.

      Delete
  5. Nice looking building. I think the extra work you've put in great. I suppose really mdf builds all depend on how lazy people want to be with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon! Yeah, after this lot I'm thinking that buildings without interiors are much less hassle. All my post-apoc stuff is built solid. Perhaps the interiors will pay off during play, I guess we'll see.

      Delete
  6. Nice job, yeti the ones you jade scratch built from boxes look far better/robust than those manufactured wich smell like something closer to toy stuff than modelling...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The ones I made from boxes are single-storey and sealed shut. It's kind of a trade-off I suppose. I think you will like my scratch built restaurant!

      Delete
  7. I've just been painting some MMG buildings and bases myself this evening, and I have to admit to taking the lazy man's way out. However, I see lots of terrain on blogs, some fantastic, others not quite so good, and then the other extreme, so Although I don't have the time (and your ability) I guess it's okay so long as it does what I need it to. I must say it didn't cross my mind to use corner 'sleeves' but what a good idea! Anyway, nice job SJ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am all for Lazy! The main reason I build so much stuff is I'm also cheap! As a tip, it's amazing what a difference you can make to box buildings for sci-fi just by randomly gluing on cardboard rectangles and trapezoids to the outside before painting. Plus whatever other junk you have lying around. As I'm downsizing my collection, I may even tear off all my older gribblies from ruins and meld them onto these buildings.

      Delete
  8. God, this looks like so much fun to make. I wish I had the time... I like your use of printed patterns for the interiors etc, as well as not going for a "trashed urban war zone" look. The foliage and sign really make this look "real" as well as much more visually interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Allison, I was trying for a non-ruined set.. And boy is it difficult! I have since sent this stuff over to Mik (of Mik's Minis) and am planning a whole new approach to "clean" sci fi urban terrain.

      Delete
  9. What building (or parts) did you base this on?

    Lovely build as usual.

    ReplyDelete