Sunday, 3 February 2013

Mixed Singles

It's been a rainy weekend in Sydney. After a bit of a sleep-in, I got to work on 3 remaining figures I have to finish for Khurasan, and of course, tackled some fun single minis while they were drying. 
I am really not enjoying "unit" style painting right now so these have been the perfect tonic.


Here is another one of the Black Widow Mercs from Rebel Minis. The inspiration is clearly from "Kill Bill", which sprang to mind after an Iyanden Darksun basecoat. I did a Gryphonne Sepia wash and then highlighted up using Vallejo Flat Yellow.
The toughest part was the black stripe... Especially trying to highlight it. I'm pretty happy with the result though.


Next, are a couple of robots from RAFM. They are old Traveller sculpts but I think it's obvious where their sculpting inspiration came from. I couldn't help but follow it up with a droidy paint job.


Also from the big bag of RAFM old Traveller minis I have been hoarding... A Droyne ship's crew figure. I still remember when the Droyne were a mysterious new addition to the Traveller universe!
These minis (which I could never afford when I was 11) have really taken me back. I may start scouring ebay for tattered old RPG books...

Thanks for looking!

24 comments:

  1. Lovely work on those figures Spacejacker! Especially on "The Bride" - yellow is such a tough colour to get looking good with acrylics.

    As for Traveller, you might want to check out this link: http://www.farfuture.net/cdroms.html - CD-ROMs and hard copy reprints

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, Great find!
      Thanks for the comment Tamsin, hope you're feeling better!

      Delete
  2. They are fantastic, I still think the RAFM sculpts still hold upto todays standards, I had the military set when I was in my early teens from a trade with a school chum and never actually new what they were at the time, Sadly I traded them on I will try and get some more some day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! So full of character. SOme of them seem a little short compared to today's 16-18mm behemoths, but I really like them.

      Delete
  3. Nice looking paint schemes on these, especially "The Bride".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ace! I think she has a very natural looking pose as well... Nice mini.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic work, that yellow on the bride just pop's. How did you do the red hair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Harken! The hair is old Snakebite leather with a new Reikland fleshshade wash.

      Delete
  5. Nice job. I can see how the black stripe would be tough, but you did a great job with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That yellow is lovely! Love the mix of minis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EP! Every time I look at your blog I feel like my terrain isn't good enough and I don't play enough games :)

      Delete
    2. Right back at you, Spacejacker!

      Delete
  7. Great work as always - especially on the Bride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dis! Your gotham conversions are a real treat right now too!

      Delete
  8. A really interesting 'mixed bag' this post- the Rebel mini is terrific, as stated above, and I agree with the comment about making yellow look good, particularly at this scale. As for the rest, I came to this scale and period a little late, so have seen very few of the Traveller figures, but there are certainly some interesting sculpts, finished off with your usual facility. Very entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gunrunner!
      The traveller figs are great, not just as miniatures but as a glimpse into the past. I'm itching to start my Vagr!

      Delete
  9. The Traveller figures are still available from RAFM and they are still as good as any on the market.

    Love what you've done with Droyne, Spacejacker, I have a bunch of these to paint up myself, and you have given me some ideas. I'm also very impressed with what you have done with the Rebel Black Widows - they look a bit meh on the Rebel website, but your paint jobs have made me seriously consider buying a pack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kobold! I think if you're ordering from Rebel, there's no reason not to pick up a pack of these. They would be superb for conversions if you don't have an immediate need!

      Delete
  10. Jacker, really nice painting; you've still got your old mojo goin'! The delicate Rebel mini is finely decorated. Plus, this is 1st time I've seen Traveller figures. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay, the mojo comes and goes, but it's on right now! I heartily recommend you go check out the link that Kobold provided above. They are really wonderful sculpts from the olden days.

      Delete
  11. Great to see the Black Widow Mercs painted up. I bought some for Spy - FI (7TV) and have yet to paint them so to see what you have done is vry helpful. Rebel have provided me with a number of great items for 7TV in 15mm.

    ReplyDelete