Sunday, 16 December 2012

Hexon II Terrain board


Some of my customized Hexon tiles
Last year before I left the UK, I bought a set of Hexon II terrain system from Kallistra.
This is an injection moulded plastic product that allows you to model a sturdy layout that can be stacked in pieces for storage.

The raw tiles
I will admit that the storage aspect was what originally drew me to this product, as someone who is usually very pressed for space. As the underside of the tiles are hollow, it is also possible to model detail onto the tiles that will be protected while stored.
The second interesting feature is that as the layout is composed of hexes, forests or other rough terrain can be very easily delineated.

Hexes with trees are considered woods
I bought the set unflocked to allow me maximum modeling potential, but to be honest it took a really long time to get these finished. If you only want grassy hexes, I would recommend the pre-flocked variety.
The tiles come with clips to keep them together, but I found that using my neoprene pin-board as a base meant I did not need them. By bizarre coincidence, it is also the exact right size to accomodate a 4x2 tile layout.

Speaking of layouts, because of their hexagonal nature, it is possible to arrange them in a hexagonal pattern instead of the usual square or rectangle. I think this has some tremendous possibilities, such as designating the six outermost hexes as deployment or reinforcement zones that can be easily randomized with a simple d6 roll!

An interesting alternative layout
Now that I have gone to all this trouble, I'm going to play a few games on it to see how useful they turn out to be.
I originally painted them all in a grey color with the intention of using them as a cityscape... But they just didn't look right. After adding some browns and grass they really came alive, so I think for an urban layout I will be better off making some cork tile squares with roads built in.

Thanks for looking!


18 comments:

  1. Well done Spacejacker. As I said in an earlier reply, I think I may have done better going down the Kallistra route. I thought it might have been too much hassle to paint and flock them, as the pre-flocked ones were much more expensive, but as it turns out, I have spent a long time on my own hexes with still plenty to be done, so it may have been a better option! Good work from you though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gunrunner!
      It all comes down to money vs time I guess. In retrospect the cheaper option in both money and time would have been extra Zuzzy mats. As I've gone this far already I will continue working on these to try to get the most out of them.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Brummie, here's hoping they end up being useful!

      Delete
  3. lovely, any chance of a step by step for the materials and some of the additional terrain features :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mike!
      The extra terrain features were modeled on with putty (craters) and crumbled cork tile (broken ground) and the ground texture was Reevs Coarse texture gel for scrylic paint, and a little liquitex resin sand texture gel. I painted them with craft paints with a basecoat and 2 drybrushed highlights and then glued on 2mm winter grass flock, and some longer static grass flock I had as well.

      Delete
  4. Great looking terrain.
    I wonder if something similar would be possible for 6mm using Heroscape tiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heroscape tiles are proportionately smaller compared to 6mm figures than these, but I can't see why not. I still have my heroscape stuff so you never know when it will rear it's head again!

      Delete
  5. Some good looking terrain there. Never been entirely sold on hex terrain, but you make it look very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ace. I'm still hoping that I can come up with a way to make it more useful than normal terrain :)

      Delete
  6. Nice setup, Jacker. Lots of potential, Sir. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay!
      This is my "outdoor" setup, I'm already planning a city system using cork tiles!

      Delete
  7. Those look very professional... I like the little shack, and the tiles with the grey rubble along 2-3 sides. How much vertical relief can you sculpt onto the tiles and still allow them to stack?

    You know, these could also be used to make a very nice custom "Settlers of Catan" set for someone so inclined :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison!
      You can get about 4-5mm of height on a tile that will still stack with the others. And yes, come to think of it, these would make a great Catan board!

      Delete
  8. What exactly did you purchase in terms of sets. One Hexon II set? A few single tiles? They look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I bought one Hexon II set, plus some single hexes... Maybe 10 or so. I have only used 2 of the single hexes, but I imagine they might come in handy some day.

      Delete