Thursday, 25 October 2012

Scratch built cork tile hills

I've managed to put together and paint some low hills made from cork tile. This is a common technique that seemed easy enough so I gave it a go in an effort to break up my terrain collection, which was until today without any hills... Odd I know.



These were pretty easy. I broke up the edges of the pieces of cork with a pair of small pliers and used PVA to glue them together. I glued some extra small crumbled off bits  around the joins, then spread some texture medium on the flat surfaces.

When dry, I used black gesso to undercoat them. The next day (today) I drybrushed them with 3 shades of brown craft paint, then a light dusting of Vallejo pale sand last of all. Bringing out the detail took careful drybrushing in multiple passes, over a couple of Walking Dead episodes. I finished them off with some of my Silfor tufts.

For the small effort they took, I'm very happy with the result. I also made some trash/debris piles for scatter terrain in my city ruins. They took a little more work, but I'm very happy with how they look and will hopefully be posting photos of them soon.

Thanks for looking!

21 comments:

  1. Oh...I like the junk piles, and some of those figures, be they Khurasan or Rebel, look operfect for adaption to 15mm 7TV!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and by the way, missed you Spacejacker. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roj, Hoping to get back in the swing of things asap!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, they really are easy to make!

      Delete
  4. Yep

    nice them. Ive tried, however I could only get thin cork board. Just didnt look right, so Im on the hunt for some more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are cork floor tiles, 6 to a pack for $13. They are probably 6mm thick.

      Delete
  5. Do these have a base underneath or are they just cork? Do they have flex to them? Are you worried they may break in half? Is the government hiding a Sasquatch super-soldier program?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just cork Mik. However the layered nature plus the textured surface makes them quite sturdy, no flex. And yes, the SSS program is of vital importance to both our nations.

      Delete
  6. We stole a SSS, shaved it, put it in a suit and it was the Governor of California for a while.

    Love the hills. I use cork only for rubble, but with these simple hils, and all the buildings that Matakashi has done over the years. I am beginning to believe in its use for sturdy terrain. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!
      Matakishi's stuff is great, a terrific resource. Cork's main advantage over foamboard is it's weight. It's just as easy to work with and makes great rubble if you want ruined edges.

      Delete
  7. Nice work, Jacker. Very usable. The little crumbled bits make a great transition from one flat area up to another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay! I was going to make more, but this is about the limit for my little gaming board :) I will probably do some grassy ones when I get around to a grassy table one day.

      Delete
  8. Great hills- they'd make a fine addition to any battlefield!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really different looking hills. Great post!

    GBS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gavin, I'll try to make them more frequent ;)

      Delete
  10. Those look really good. In the blog you said you used "black gesso" to under coat them. Can you talk a little bit or a lot about what this is and why you use it? I am not familiar with it at all. Thanks Dan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome back, stranger. Up to your usual standard I'm glad to say!

    ReplyDelete