Saturday, 22 September 2012

Retrofitted Terrain

Not a lot of time to paint lately, but as you might know, when I can't get a solid stretch of painting in, I make terrain!


 Or in this case, re-using some older terrain (Proxie models ruined walls) by making it into ruined buildings instead of free standing separate walls. They are a great product and I'm considering buying some of the corner ruins to expand my set.

A little bit of pumice gel to blend them into the bases did the trick very quickly (as they were already painted), but I wanted the interiors to look a little nicer than just throwing some dirt in there.


For building number one, I used a slab of Imex on the left, with a few spare tiles cut out of plastic. On the left I used some textured paper to look like cobblestones. I think this piece needs a little more work on the floor, probably checkerboard tiles. They are cheesy, but they are effective.


Speaking of alternating tiles, the second building featured a second level sniper perch. Both the tiles and the cracked floor were made by carving into foam core with one side of the paper peeled off. It's a great alternative to carving pink/blue foam and I find it really easy to handle. A little bit of pumice gel to add interest really set this off.


Building number three features a wooden floor made out of popsicle sticks split in half and cut up. The mesh on the left was supposed to be old carpet, which I may still do by glazing it.

On the workbench are GZG Crusties and mechs, because I want to expand them as an OpForce. This is to take a run at Platoon Forward by Toofat Lardies, using Fubar rules. These ruins will feature heavily in this project too.

I have (of course) come up with a few new projects I'm excited about that will further stress my free time, but I'll post about them when I actually do work on them.

Thanks for looking!

36 comments:

  1. These look fantastic. So the first one is just based on a piece of plastic, the 2nd on foam core and the third on plastic again? I'd be interested to see them from the side to see how high the buildings are off the ground.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, saw this 'feed' that MIK22 spoke of. I see what you did now!

      Delete
    2. As you can see, they are all based on plastic, but the floor tiles are made of skinned foam core :)

      Delete
  2. Very nice look to those. I must dig out some spare wallpaper for some floors. Always sounds a bit odd, that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was going for something I can use for sci-fi and also WWW2 or cthullu.

      Delete
  3. Watched all of these come together on the feed, still the photos look great. Nice work all around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mik! Hope your foot is feeling better dude.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Ferret, I aim to build a few more!

      Delete
  5. Your work never seizes to amaze me! Absolutely gorgeus. Great usage of colors and materials. Will copy these ideas for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Relic! I'm working on a modular hex board to work with these too.

      Delete
  6. These buildings look fantastic Spacejacker- very atmospheric. I really must use up some of the textured plastic sheets I got years ago from a model railway shop closing down sale. By the way, I hope you didn't think I was taking the, er, you know, about the colour scheme of the Exterminators- I had genuinely forgotten what you had put for your scheme, and (ridiculously) thought I had come up with the idea! Sorry mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Gunrunner, absolutely no p*ss taken! I wish I'd bought more plastic sheet years ago.. Now it's quite expensive!

      Delete
  7. They look really good so they do. Look forward to seeing the OpForces you do and see you run through the rules with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ace! The Crusties are coming along well and I played a bunch of FUBAR on the weekend with very positive results. I have already written a page and a half of supplemental material.

      Delete
  8. Hell yeah! These are fine Bro...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Cheers Tamsin! I used a bit of pre-shading on these, like you are doing on those Paras :)

      Delete
  10. Wow! I wish I had your skills or part of them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't sell yourself short Javier, you have crazy skills!

      Delete
  11. Those are really great. I finally saw the proxie models up close. I am going to get 2 of each set. They will be great and quick for building up 15mm post apoc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LA. I still have an un-opened packet still to go, I'm pleased to say. Might be time for another order though.

      Delete
  12. Looking great! Much better than any other use of Proxie buildings I have seen to date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dis... It's all in the decoration!

      Delete
  13. Aha! someone else who uses textured paper (orange coloured "basketball" texture, FYI everyone) for cobblestones. It's a cheap trick but it works. These are some nice pieces, SJ. I was wondering what the Proxie scenery looked like in action so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison! Proxie models sets are great to work with and very flexible. I did stick on a lot of extras too. Resin pipes by Old Crow, some GZG vents here and there, and a bunch of coffee-stirrer wooden planking on the windows. I must remember to get some more of those for floors.

      Delete
    2. Ah coffee sticks. "These would have been free, but I would have felt guilty for not buying a coffee after I pocketed a whole handful".

      Delete
  14. Nice structures, Jacker. You've got some valuable ideas for detailing the derelict houses. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay! The trick is doing enough to look interesting, without impeding the placement of figures inside...

      Delete