Monday, 24 September 2012

Crusty Heavy Support

Crusty Walker on 30mm base
As you may have seen in the feed, I've been toiling away at my Crusty Walkers. Here is the first complete one, decked out to match my Crusty Power Armor troops.

All are from GZG, and are excellent sculpts. Some of the edges are a little soft, but for alien crustaceans, it's OK with me.

Crusty Power Armor troops on 20mm bases
I went with an orange armor scheme, with Russian green suits underneath to tie them in with my other Crusty troops. I did all the weapons in white to show them as distinct from the dirty metal guns the rabble troops carry.

These all took quite a lot of effort due to the mechanical detail. I have actually got another 3 suits almost finished (weapons and bases to go) but they are identical poses, so I thought I'd throw out a post with these 3 done.

I'm working on my Kallistra Hexon terrain boards to have a little more space to get troops on the board. For what? For FUBAR! I played 3 games over the weekend and I think it's a great system for playing Platoon Forward (In space) as it's light and points-free.

Since my boards are quite small, I have adapted the weapon ranges and firepower values to suit. In my variant, each weapon type has varying FP depending on range. It worked out very well in my test games, as the rules are so simple to start with. With this system, a combat shotgun behaves differently to an assault rifle for example, which I like.

The (extremely flexible) Platoon Forward scenario generator includes things like squad support weapons and AT guns.. Something I lack in general. I am going to need to order some big guns (probably from GZH again) in due course, but I think I'll start the campaign without them  or see what I can convert in the meantime.

My next step will be to generate my platoon, which should be fun! I'm going to use my 5150 definition of a platoon here... 3 fireteams of 4 men each plus a "Platoon" commander. Can't wait.

Thanks for looking!



23 comments:

  1. These are Ace. I have really enjoyed the development of this line from GZG. You make them look great.

    And I really like Fubar. It will be one of the sets I use for 15mm skirmish. What is Platoon Forward that you have been referencing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LA. Platoon Forward is a set of rules for generating a narrative around a Platoon, including personality, scenarios and relationship progression. It's all done in a very nice Kreigspiel-y way and is inexpensive. Check it out at: http://toofatlardies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=78&zenid=dce08424d1bbda4224bd729a3459c6cd

      Delete
  2. They look superb really lovely colours you've chosen it really suits the style of the mini's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brummie, sometimes it's good to break away from realistic drabs :)

      Delete
  3. Ok, the power armor troops are easily my favorites of these! I like how they're bulked up a bit but still look distinctive by keeping the Crusty face shape (with almost cute goggle eyes). And your colour scheme has a nice sci-fi/videogame-ish feel to it, not cartoonishly bright but not drab either.

    A lot of people will just use these as "Prawns" but I think they have a lot more potential than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison, I really like 'em too... Especially the helmets. The eyes look a bit like MOPP suits to me and are kind of sinister!

      Delete
  4. As always Spacejacker, they look awesome. A newcomer to this blog would never know you painted in 15mm by the paintjob. You're detail work in that scale in amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice & the walker sculpts are very appealing too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ferret! I must say I'm not a fan of the large Mecha suit in this line, but the little walkers are great!

      Delete
  6. Excellent work on these, loving the detail you've achieved on those walkers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ace! There's plenty there to work with and I found it pretty easy to get a brush on as well. Highly recommended.

      Delete
  7. Hi, Jacker! Excellent sculpts and painting! You might be soon honored with the prestigious title of Master 15mm Painting Guy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay, but I think I've got a ways to go yet... There are some incredible painters out there, especially in moderns/ww2 styles. I'm trying though ;)

      Delete
  8. That looks great Bro, now you have a fun little battle force!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You see the problem is, I had decided not to buy any 'Alien' minis and just stick to humanoids and suchlike, and then you went and did an incomparable job on Jon's Crusties and made me want some! If I wasn't so impressed I would curse you, Spacejacker- instead I have to admit it- you're the man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deep bow to you Gunrunner. Thanks for the encouragement my friend, it's folks like you that keep me posting :)

      Delete
    2. Well you must know from the quality and quantity of comments you receive that a lot of us look to your blog for inspiration (at the risk of sounding a bit gushy) and just for the pure pleasure of seeing the finished article. There are many wonderful blogs out there, but yours is the one I turn to first, so keep me on my toes!

      Delete
    3. Thanks again Gunrunner, and I will do my best to keep you on those toes ;)

      Delete
  10. My thoughts exactly gunrunner! Now I need to go find some oranage paints. Who on earth would think I needed orange! Orange for chris sake!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keith! And I use orange all the time, you won't regret it ;)

      Delete
  11. I'd love to see some write ups on how you use Platoon Forward.

    ReplyDelete