Wednesday, 8 August 2012

Tauran Terror

Jon from Khurasan broke the news on TMP today, so I can talk about the Taurans I painted over the weekend!
As you can see, these are some beefy fellows, standing a good bit taller than a 15mm human. The back story is that they are a subject race to the mighty Garn hegemony, equipped with huge lead-weighted guns used as much as clubs as firearms. they are supposedly berzerk flesheaters, even more savage than the Garn themselves.
The figures are very nicely sculpted and come with the horns as a separate piece. I'm thinking of ordering a second pack, leaving off the horns, cutting short the stogg guns and using them as some kind of steroided-up Lhurgg.

The bulging muscles make painting very straightforward and I did the flesh parts very simply: Skrag brown base, devlan mud wash, skrag brown highlight, skrag brown+vallejo medium flesh highlight. I kept the paint pretty thin and got a really pleasing result with what felt like little effort.

The armor was painted with mecharite red, washed with Reikland flesh shade and highlighted with Vallejo orange-red.

The guns were basecoated black, then painted the same as the armor on the big plates, and then with leadbelcher on the metal bits, with a sloppy Agrax earthshade wash over the metallic parts. I find this really helps make the metal look real and less like a bright painted surface.


The leader was done in Space wolf grey, washed with Nuln oil and highlighted back up. I want to do some face paint (like Kratos from the God of War video games,) but I thought of it too late.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting a good photo taken at the moment. I think the camera needs a reset (after GF has been using it) and I need a new lighting solution.. My old sunny front room in Brighton did a lot for my camera work.

Khurasan just keeps releasing tons of stuff I must have... It's almost scary.

Thanks for looking!



26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks LA...I'm working my way up to Infinity models.. ;)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! Your gaming exploits with beautifully painted figures are an inspiration to get hobbying!

      Delete
  3. Not crazy about the "lead-weighted" gun sculpts but as usual I can't find any flaws in the paintjobs themselves. Good to see the painting table back in action, thanks for writing the step-by-steps as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im looking forward to doing some conversion work on a fresh set or maube even these ones. Cheers buddy!

      Delete
  4. Lovely! And I really like the idea of using them with the Lhurgg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EP, I'm keen to get that idea underway. :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Apt considering the Tauran diet. Cheers Brummie!

      Delete
  6. Great job, Jacker. You know how to make muscles bulge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I really should give myself a devlan mid wash and a highlight. :)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Brutpaul, they were fun to paint.

      Delete
  8. Khurasan really does some amazing sculpts, and you've really made them shine! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theres so much left to paint, but I guess thqts better than running out. Thanks ferret!

      Delete
  9. Terrific work, Jacker. It was also good to get a step by step shading guide. I guess you are using some of the new GW paints you posted about earlier, 'cos I don't recognise the names. Still, top dollar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skrag brown proved to be OK, and the 2 washes I used are good if you know what to expect (they are kind of weak) the rest were older citadel or Vallejo paints. In future I will take a quick photo of the bottles so I dont have to list them.

      And thanks!

      Delete
  10. Lovely work Spacejacker. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Legion, you guys keep me going!

      Delete
  11. "Space minotaurs" aren't really something that interest me much, but as usual your paint jobs are great. The warm "bestial brown" bodies go nicely with their red gear, and the albino or whatever leader with his machete stands out nicely for gaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison! Space minotaurs are at the very least amazing conversion fodder ;) the leader was inspired by the old song "the little white bull"... He is pretty easy to spot isnt he?

      Delete
  12. Excellent painting SJ! The oversized guns and horns seem a bit silly to me though.
    Javier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Javier, different aliens for different folks I guess ;)

      Delete
  13. Bovine? More link BoFINE, am I right? Bully for you! But don't get cowed by the quantity of awesome coming out of Khurasan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! Khurasan is really raising the steaks on a weekly basis and horning their way to the top of the industry.

      Delete