Thursday, 23 August 2012

Scratch built shanty buildings

I've been terribly busy with real life, especially work etc. etc. However I have managed to put these buildings together while watching a crummy movie with my girlfriend on the weekend. I find terrain building is relaxing and pleasant when one is too tired to paint a "proper" mini.


This first building is made mostly out of some rescued blocks of blue foam (ripped off my old vault terrain tiles). The corrugated metal is paper from an art supply shop, the front door is a GZG metal one, and the back wall is an IMEX panel. Finally, there is an air conditioning unit by The Scene on the side. The whole deal is mounted on a plastic base textured with pumice gel.
I finished it off with a little bit of foam shrubbery.


This hexagonal building was made of foamcore, with an IMEX roof and plenty more corrugated paper. Another GZG door and large aircon unit complete the picture.


These walls were recycled vault terrain, with some more corrugated paper and chopped bits of junk glued on.



This tower is made mainly out of IMEX parts, with some ripped up plastic sheet and corrugated paper to fortify the top. Most of my terrain is one-story, so it was about time I made some high ground.


This last piece is another IMEX part, mounted on a block of blue foam with a GZG hatch glued on. As you can see, it makes a great bridge between two other terrain pieces.

These pieces were all easy to make and cost me nothing as I recycled them out of old junk and unpainted lead. Combined with my existing GZG shanty shacks they round out a pretty respectable sci-fi or post-apoc settlement to game in.

I painted these up tonight in about an hour while listening to my favorite Podcast, Minions of the Monster Master. It took me about two hours and I feel like a great weight has been lifted from me as I finally got some hobby time in!

Thanks for looking!

32 comments:

  1. Very nice! I was a big fan of your first batch of shanties, too. Glad you got some hobby time in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks e-p, I'm hoping to get a bit more in in the coming weeks!

      Delete
  2. Great work mate - definitely a run-down colony look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin, the two biggest influences were District 9 and some levels in COD Modern warfare 2.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Fjodin! I really love making terrain for some reason I don't understand...

      Delete
    2. I dont understand it either but i love it too. Must look for some of that corrugated paper. Shame i dont have any IMEX bits. it seems everyone is using them!

      Delete
  4. Awesome. I can't wait to get my Spanish and French done so I can take a whack at this kind of Post apoc/sci fi stuff with the Khurusan figs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LA.. That reminds me I must get my Khurasan mutants painted up...

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Cheers Andy, I'm having a lot of fun with this stuff.

      Delete
  6. Hi, Jckr! These structures look bad and crusty! It's a blast being a hoarder isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay! Yeah, now that my supplies arrived I have a huge reserve of bits :)

      Delete
  7. Very characterful pieces! And you painted these in an hour?! Damn...

    I need to re-acquaint myself with drybrushing I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two hours, and I forgot to mention they were already undercoated with black gesso. The basic technique is metal drybrush, then color stippled on and washes applied. Dirty trashed buildings are really not very hard to paint, which is why they are so relaxing :)

      Delete
  8. Lovely work and so fast too. Great variety.

    GBS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Top work as always, Jacker. An hour to paint? In league with the Dark Lord then, obviously! Very atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gunrunner... If drybrushing and washes on terrain are techniques of the Dark Lord, then I'm irredeemable! ;)

      Delete
  10. As always - great stuff. The green window and the lettering on the Chop Shop are especially impressive, I may replicate these details on some of my terrain pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dis, your urban board is looking amazing. I find if you do a couple of colorful intricate details on an otherwise bland model like my Chop Hut, it really spices it up with little effort.

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the deleted post, didn't realise my wife had logged on. These look fantastic and make me want to play an apoc game..

      Delete
    2. Hey no problem Graham, thanks for posting! I'm looking forward to a game soon myself.

      Delete
  12. I see in your photo stream you couldn't resist either.

    I don't need 200 fantasy figs. But of course I have to have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It got to the point where I just couldn't resist. I made a pretty huge Khurasan order today as well.. I don't think I'm going to need to buy any minis again for the rest of my life.

      Delete
    2. I made a pretty massive Demonworld 15mm purchase myself, along with these. I am swimming in fantasy, and its not even my favorite period. Plus all this GW fantasy. Argghh!

      And I have a Khurusan Neo Soviet order just waiting for me to hit send.

      Delete
  13. Great job! I always knew that ribbed paper stuff would make great corrugated iron, the scale even looks right. Now I want to make my own shanties. What I'd do with them... I dunno. But they'd look cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison!

      Getting the corrugated paper in the right scale (or close to) was difficult. Standard stuff is more suited to 28mm, I found this in an art supply shop after a lot of looking.

      Why not make a backdrop for photos..Like a little stage set?

      Delete
  14. do you have any tutorial info on how you did the chop shop??

    ReplyDelete