Sunday, 8 July 2012

Harook wave 2

A couple of weeks ago, a package arrived from mad Robot miniatures. It was the second wave of Harook releases! After much wrestling with improvised base texture, poor lighting and new paint, I finally got these guys finished and photographed with my iPhone. 

Plasma Gunners
SAW Gunners
Drone and Snipers
I really had to improvise the photo setup... Check it out on the Workbench (instagram) stream on the right of the page.

These are biggish figures, standing around 20mm tall. The detail is excellent, although to be honest there is so much that it takes a little longer to paint one of these guys than a standard 15mm sci fi figure (whatever that is) but the results are well worth it.

I used the same color scheme as the initial pack I did for Mad Robot, but with white feathers instead of yellow to indicate special weapon trooper status. I've done 2-tone bases on these as well, which will further pick them out.
When I do some more of these for myself I think I will go with a very dark armor suit and go nuts with some OSL on all the little lights. I chose a light color for the demo models so that the customer could easily see the detail.

I have switched to using artist's pumice gel for my basing due to some advice from Robin Fitton at Gruntz. Sadly I don't have any right now so I made my own paste out of fine sand and PVA. I think it works pretty well and did a decent enough job of gap filling. I plan to cover the slight imperfections with my (also absent) silfor tufts or maybe small rocks.

(These figures were painted with the new citadel paint range I ranted about last post. I got the result I was after but it was a lot more difficult than it should have been. I really missed my "old style" washes... The new ones are really awful and took about 4 coats to achieve similar effects. I'm not buying any more of that product.)

My beloved desk and other gear is still not here yet, but I am anxiously waiting for it to arrive so I can get started on some incredible new Khurasan beasties Jon sent me.

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful paintjobs, even though you had to use crappy paint. Of course with your kind of talent, you could probably use a Crayon and get great results. I gave up on GW paints and bought 2 of the Reaper High Density sets, so far they're pretty good, especially the fleshes. I don't know what I'll do when I run out of Ogrynn Flesh was, though. I hope your shipment of home furnishings gets to you soon, and I'm glad to see you painting and blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, very kind of you. Im a big fan of ogryn flesh wash too.. Im hoping secret weapon might be able to help.
      Its good to be posting again, I have found it very frustrating having nothing to blog!

      Delete
  2. I've heard it said that the Army Painter Strong and Dark Tones are reasonable analogues for Devlan and Badab, so perhaps they might be worth a try if you can pick them up locally. Otherwise, cool paint job and clever adaptation for your light tent.

    Cheers
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some local online retailers that carry army painter and SW so I'll be ordering when my paint collection shows up and inevitably runs out :)
      Cheers Dave!

      Delete
  3. Nice looking birds, Jacker! You are doing fine, Sir...You are rolling with the punches very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay, It's great to be back posting again!

      Delete
  4. Great looking stuff there, shame about the paints. Thought I'd heard that the new ones were okay, thicker in that they can be pushed into corners more. I've yet to try any of the new ranges myself, still working up to it.

    Good to see you're back painting though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ace, Ive got plenty to blog about coming up!

      Delete
    2. Good to hear, your 15mm work is both truly inspiring to the level you can go with such small figures, and envy inducing that it makes my own attempts look crude. In short I'm jealous.

      Delete
  5. Looks great. And we are all waiting to see what Jon sent you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon keeps a tight lid on new releases until he has announced them so I often can't blog about what I'm doing until weeks after I'm finished with Khurasan stuff. Rest assured that the minis in question are based, undercoated and about to be painted!

      Delete
  6. I agree its grat to see you turning out painte minis again. The pumice gel is brilliant stuff, i cannnot recommend it highly enough-and i owe Robin for that (one of his videos) too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CR. Pumice gel is a great time (and putty) saver and I sorely miss my big tub of it!

      Delete
  7. You're quite the ninja sneaking this post past me!

    I am not the biggest fan of the Harook sculpts (though that drone is nice), but you've done them justice as usual with your pigment slingin' skills.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My secret is long periods of inactivity ;) Cheers Mik, Im on an aliens kick at the moment and as soon as my lead pile arrives a whole lot of post apoc goodness Im eager to start back into!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good work on these mate.
    I feel your pain since I also moved to a diferent country so I know its a big mess settling and transporting your hobby gears etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bug man... Its such a shame I had to fly On the day of Salute so I couldnt go. I would have liked to come and say hello in London. Hope youre settling in well!

      Delete
  10. Fantastic work as ever! Mad Robot is wise to use your paintjobs to advertise the Harook, your style really does show off their detail.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Blaster, Im thinking of adding some more stripes and markings but wanted to keep them clean for the product shots :)

    ReplyDelete