Saturday, 14 July 2012

Guerrilla Gaming

First of all, I took these pictures just with my iPhone 4s, using the camera + app, then whacked them over onto the laptop and into the post. No screwing around with white balance on my s95! OK< so the quality has suffered a little, but today is guerrilla gaming day.. No frills and straight up!

Squad 1: "I think there's something over there..."
Squad 2: "I don't care what you smell, move it!"
While getting through the Harook from my last post, I also got paint on some of the original Crusties from Ground Zero Games. This is something of a landmark, as these same sculpts were the very first minis I painted for this blog back in 2010!
Those particular models were bought by the Gruntz team to use in demo games all around the UK. Ah, memories.

This batch was done in a similar style, but with the benefit of 3 years of experience.
The bases were smeared with a fine sand/pva mixture I made to try to emulate pumice gel. I then glued on some bits of grating I got in a dollar store, and some broken wooden coffee stirrer pieces. Lastly I added some very fine wire that fell out of a snipped ethernet cable at work. The bases will get some silfor tufts when my stuff arrives (It's going through customs on Tuesday!) to finish them off. I wanted to add some junkyard elements to the bases in a small homage to the brilliant film these models echo... District 9.

They were each basecoated with either a buff color or a light grey. I then washed them with Agrax Earthshade, a bit of Nuln Oil and a bit of reikland fleshshade (all new and not very good citadel washes) to get at the detail in the cracks. A bit of a drybrush with the base color and a single fairly careless highlight was applied before picking out the weapons in a dark metallic, then washing the guns with agrax earthshade (I wanted them to look a bit grimy) and some splats of nuln oil into the deeper crevices.
(When I use washes, I no longer try to use one wash over the whole figure at once, as I did the very first time I painted Crusties.)

Lastly, I painted the bandoliers in bright orange and then washed them with Agrax earthshade a couple of times before highlighting a little bit.

I thought I was done until I saw this post where Monty did them with uniforms painted on.
They looked so good I wanted to give it a try myself, so I went back and painted the uniformed areas I wanted done black. This gave me a good base to highlight up with Knarloc green.
Not all of the crusties got full uniforms, I wanted them to look a little bit disorganised.

The second piece of guerrilla hobby I did today was riding over to Bunnings and finding a square of vinyl tile to use as a skirmish board. It cost me the princely sum of $4.00, bargain! It has a glossy finish I would like to dull down but otherwise works very well indeed. (Pics in the photostream on the right.)

I'm enthused to play some games now!

29 comments:

  1. Great paintjobs!
    The vinyl tile is another great idea. Thanks! It looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks brutpaul, it's good to be painting again. I've seen a few other bloggers use similar tiles butted up together, but I prefer this one large specimen. I would have grabbed a dark brown one too, but they were all out. It certainly worked out cheaper than a new Zuzzy mat :)

      Delete
  2. Pretty good SJ, that Vinyl square is brilliant, I will have to get one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dan, I'll do a follow up post about trying to get it matte finished.

      Delete
  3. I doubt it was the look you were going for, but these have a great 2300AD Kafer look to my eyes. I shall try to achieve the same with mine when I get around to painting them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted them to look dry and flaky... I'll have to look up what a Kafer is now :)

      Delete
  4. Great Prawns! and the tile is ideal. Nice buildings too, heck it's all working very nice together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ferret! I've had tons of new terrain ideas today based around junky looking city locations. I might even start building some soon.

      Delete
  5. They look brilliant, bet you can't wait for your things! So close

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brummie!

      You bet I can't wait.. My daylight work lamp is the most missed item, but then the list just goes on and on...

      Delete
  6. What size is that tile? Looks 60x60?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay that's enough, looks great but get to gaming, roll some dice!

    I always thought a 'kafer' was a Volkswagon Bug?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great little vignette, Jacker. You've picked out the detail on these Crusties wonderfully well. You've also have some cool scenery showing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay, the scenery is my emergency stash... I'm getting some plasticard today to build extra junkyard junk :)

      Delete
  9. Very nice. Glad to see you posting more. I like that tile a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, I hope to be back to a few times a week soon.

      Delete
  10. I wondered about th size of the tile too. i didnt know you could get them that big. I hacve a few 30cm sq ones left from the bathroom floor,but how tocover the oh so obvious straight joins?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like the joins either. I might get a couple more of these and try painting on top of the texture.. At $4 a pop, what's to lose?

      Delete
  11. I can only echo what has been said before, Jacker, great stuff.....and it's really good to see you posting again and giving us glimpses of what you are up to. Looking forward to your terrain ideas with a view to stealing some as usual. Imitation is the best form of flattery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gunrunner, glad to be back!
      I've been playing an iPad game that spoofs action movies and got lots of ideas from that. Mainly plywood boards on scaffolding and rooftop terrain. Also I want to make some sofas.

      Delete
  12. while district 9 seems to be far from my memories, those faces made me think about "falling skies" 's bugs (I just watched an episode tho). They'd look awesome with 4 extra legs spiderly fashioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen Falling skies, but I've heard GZG Ixx are good for that.

      Delete
  13. Oooo. Uniforms on the Crusties is smart! Makes me take another look the models. Of course I just bought some horror minis for my Weird West game so Crusties will have to wait I suppose.

    Always excited to see you show up in my feed, Spacejacker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, likewise EP. Looking forward to seeing your weird west project kick off!

      Delete
  14. Crusties look great in your capable hands.

    And the tile thing is great. You can also buy a bogger length of linoleum off the roll. The issue being finding one that doesn't repeat its pattern or hev a pattern stamped in. But the color and texture is spot on for you stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never seen Crusties look so good! The orange contrast from their bandoliers really makes them in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete