Sunday, 6 May 2012

Planetfall: Sydney


I have now been back in my home town of Sydney for one week. I'm only just fighting off the last of the jet-lag (9 hour time difference to the UK) although I'm still waking up at 5-6am. This is probably the worst jet-lag I've experienced in my various travels, but then again maybe I'm just getting old.

The flight over was OK as 27 hour economy flights go... However I didn't get a chance to do any of the things I thought I would. Meal trolley interruptions and falling asleep put the kibosh on most of my plans.

I did manage to read a pdf copy of "The Department" on my iPad though, and I must say I'm extremely impressed. The rules are very clean and the campaign system is excellent. On top of that it's heavily geared toward solo/co-op play in a way that other Goalsystem games are not. I was going to write a glowing review of the book, but I think I should play a game or two first before I do that.

Arriving here after a 7 year absence is a very strange experience. I feel like I'm in a time travel movie where life has leapt forward 7 years but I haven't. Besides that it's been great catching up with family and a few friends between sorting out bank account, driver's license, sorting internet in the new office, trying to stay awake etc.


I bought my best friend's bike to replace my Night Rod, which was hard to say goodbye to. The new beast has made Sydney flat-hunting almost bearable... It's an awesome machine and has gone a long way to stopping me feeling like a stranded tourist in a parallel dimension.

I'm going to my parent's place for  a family lunch today, but am considering shooting into the city after that to visit Hobbyco (ah, memories!) and GW to grab an emergency painting kit...
Theres a postpack of GZG goodness that made it into my luggage taunting me, and I have some unfinished Khurasan business on it's way that will probably arrive before my belongings do. I don't have any bases, but EM-4 is mailing me a pack now from the UK. I think the postage cost almost as much as the order.. But hey, they got me hooked on 20mm slotta bases and now I'm locked in!

My next few weeks of posting will probably be very game-report heavy now that I'm awake enough to get some played. As I don't have a TV or consoles to distract me for the next month, I will be mostly:

-Playing Throwdown (writing up missions and trying to finalize the rulebook text)
-Playing the Department
-Trying Red Sand, Black Moon, which I just downloaded. I think I'll pick up some lego minifigs for this.

Sorry about the lack of miniatures content in this post, thanks for bearing with TSS in this transition period!

35 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your 1st post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Jay, I'm feeling altogether rusty! ;)

      Delete
  2. As before, you're welcome to come down for to the Gong if you want a game of anything :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Captain, I will keep that in mind!

      Delete
  3. Welcome back to Oz mate, its a good place to live ( i'm in Melbourne)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back to Sydney, was there a couple of weeks ago wandering about and enjoying the botanical gardens for a friends wedding.

    When I moved back from the UK in 2000, after leaving in 92, Brisbane and Gold Coast caused the same feeling for me too. Whole tracts of forest between GC and BrisVegas, now Suburbia.. that was the biggest shock.

    Look forward to updates; hopefully better weather than us folks down Melbourne way lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tael, it's good to be back. I'm gradually settling back in, I think once I move into my new flat I'll feel a lot more normal.

      (The weather has been fantastic so far.. I'm glad I missed the floods earlier in the year!)

      Delete
  5. Good to see you back on the blogosphere. Hopefully all the settling in goes okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ace! It will take a while to get settled, but I'm hoping to get plenty of games in to blog about.

      Delete
  6. Ah, the return of the meister! Welcome back, Jacker. Looking forward to future posts- get painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gunrunner.. I'm working on it!

      Delete
  7. Sounds good. I haven't travelled much tbh. But I used to go to a holiday spot in Cornwall when I was a kid nearly every year until I was about 13-14. Then didn't go again until i was around 25 and that felt bizarre everything seems small for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the same size, you just got big... Australia feels like that to me, despite being friggin' enormous as continents go ;)

      Delete
  8. SYDNEY! Welcome back! I live in Sydney too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you touched down safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mik, I'm saving your last Minions of the monster Master podcast for my first painting session :)

      Delete
  10. Congrats on a successful voyage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and boy are my arms tired!

      Delete
  11. Glad to hear from you again, looking forward to your review of "the Department".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very positive about the rulebook, but I feel it's important I try to play it before writing any kind of review. I'm looking forward to taking it for a spin, maybe tonight.

      Delete
  12. Sorry to hear the jet lag has been such a killer, but glad to hear you're settling in reasonably well given such a long time away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Legion, I'm just about OK again now. I think the amazing food quality is helping ;)

      Delete
  13. Good to see you made it back safe and sound... looking forward to seeing some work from you again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice to see you landed alright. Looking forward to hearing your new exploits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you LA.. I have a lot planned, let's see how it shakes out ;)

      Delete
  15. Glad you're back in action once again. I'm also interested in your review of the department, and I hope you make some comparisons with THW rulesets as you commented the department is geared towards co-op and solo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Javier, I think you might like the rules but I'd better play it first before making any judgements ;)

      Delete
  16. more importantly than jet lag......get those rules ready!!! looking forward to them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. believe me, it's priority 1 at the moment!

      Delete
  17. oh and before I forget. send us an email with your new address. Ive a pack you won on the paint comp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, thanks again.. Much appreciated! I brought my prizewinning AA Rusks with me so they will feature in a battle report soon ;)

      Delete
  18. Nice bike! Good to see your posting again. I'm interested to read your thoughts on The Department. I think I might pick it up if its good for co-op play. My kids have been asking if we can play a game where we are all on the same side. The Department could be the game I'm looking for by the sounds of things. Alternatively I might pick up the Gears of War board game.

    ReplyDelete