Monday, 2 April 2012

Maser Tank


OK, this isn't 15mm scale. It's a Monpoc tank that I'll be using in my Mighty Monsters project.. Which also isn't 15mm scale. Would readers prefer I put this stuff on my 6mm blog (That I haven't updated in months) instead?

Nevertheless, a fun little model to work away on while other minis are drying. I got a few vehicles with a giant robot mini as a set on ebay.. I think in the real game they morph together or something. In the Godzilla movies there are often high-tech tanks and aircraft that try to defend the earth from monsters with varying success. These vehicles are often armed with a Maser, which is .. I dunno.. A Monster Laser?

Detail is soft and there was a thick layer of gloss paint on this guy, which means you need to highlight both aggressively and precisely.. But I think the model looks great when finished. Privateer Press really did an incredible job with this whole line.


Here's the tank next to Terra Khan for scale. I was going to use 6mm scale infantry originally, as I bought 6mm scale buildings... But now I'm beginning to think 3mm stuff might look better. If there were 3mm troops and tanks in this shot the Maser tank would look huge and TK would be truly enormous!

Thanks for looking!

13 comments:

  1. I think Maser refers to Microwave Laser or something like that due to its Microwave dish mount.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe.. Now I feel ignorant. I must start re-watching my Toho collection.

      Delete
  2. Derek: yes, maser = laser device whose emitted wavelength is longer than visible light.

    SJ: Why keep two painting blogs? Easier to maintain one, this one has an avid readership, and there's no point in NOT putting 6mm stuff here too (despite the sub-title).

    And, this tank is cute! With that double prow it sort of looks like it might transform into an anime mecha of some kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, I just merged all my old posts on the 6mm site to here. 6mm is still tiny so it sort of qualifies..

      Delete
  3. Keep it all in ome place. Love the paint job, especially the light effects. As for it not being 15mm, who says? Would make a great droid or combat robot

    -Eli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eli! That's a good point, it could easily pass for a drone or remote in 15mm :)

      Delete
  4. I love the monster gaming... I need to build a godzilla board one of these days, this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The board is the final piece of the puzzle. I might take a look at the felt mats.

      Delete
  5. I would also say keep it all in one place. I play various scales, so really doesn't bother me if other stuff gets shown. It's all little toy soldiers in the end. And once again toy soldiers you've painted very well.

    As for maser, basically an acronym for microwave amplification by stimulated emission of radiation. Lasers use light, grasers (in some sci-fi) is gamma rays. Just different wavelengths as stated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ace, and the two sites are now one :)

      Delete
  6. Great stuff... and the tank might be useful in 15mm as a drone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Lobo! Yes, I think I might have one more around here somewhere that would be just as good.

      Delete