Monday, 12 March 2012

Throwdown Door: Scratch build


I'm up to my neck in the Throwdown rules development at the moment and now that the combat rules are in place (hooray!) the next step is scenarios. I'm planning to include some typical wargame scenarios people can use with their existing terrain collections, but new for Throwdown is my exciting new "Dynamic Mission System" which uses a handful of special pieces to create a random close-quarters mission "on the fly".

Although the D.M.S is focussed on a very small commitment from the player to getting into the action (a core concept in Throwdown) it does require the occasional door that can be open or closed... This is easily done with a counter or somesuch, but I thought I'd try my hand at building a working doorway from stuff I had lying around...
I used some plasticard, some scrap foamcore (the black kind) and a couple of spare vents I got from GZG or the scene (I don't remember) plus copydex glue and an xacto knife.

Step 1
I cut the two sides of the wall to length and sliced an identical doorway hole in each one. I then peeled off the paper on one side from each piece, so that the card sides faced "in" and the naked foam faced out.



Step 2
I cut out a frame from thin plasticard as I messed up the edges of the door a bit. Next I cut thin stips of plasticard to act as "runners" allowing me to slide a plasticard door in from the top. Two identical runners went on the ends to plug the gaps and make sure the thickness stayed even.



Step 3
All glued together, I based the wall and began carving/scoring the exposed foam surface with my knife and a pencil. I also added the metal bits to make it bit more interesting. Finally, I topped it off with a rectangle of plasticard with a hole cut out for the door to slip through.



Voila, one working doorway in a wall section! Next I will decorate the base and paint it.

Thanks for looking!

19 comments:

  1. Clever, practical, and looks good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate that you make it look so easy.

    No, wait. Actually, I like that you make it look so easy, but I hate myself for being so lazy.

    There. That's more accurate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was actually very easy. The secret? Straight cuts!

      Delete
  3. That's really nice, I really should get my act together and not be so hamfiisted when it comes to building scenery and get some done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ace.
      I did this while I was on hold on the phone.. It honestly took about half an hour including letting the glue dry.. It's all in the planning. And of course, only having to make straight cuts. ;)

      Delete
    2. On hold on the phone! Gah, that makes it sound obscenely easy, which means if I did I'd end up with a wonky door or something (such is my ability at building scenery). Between this and and the really nice strike team you did for the ACP miniatures (which pretty much sold me on the mercs I must say), I'm beginning to get very jealous.

      Delete
  4. Really neat build and yes, agree on the straight cuts. Only thing missing is the shhhtumm sfx. :D

    Looking forward to seeing examples of the revised graphics of the new Throwdown set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The final cards are done in monochrome, I still need to do the full color treatment for release. It's exciting though, the hard work is all done, now it's polishing and presentation, plus deciding on final features time.

      Delete
    2. "It's exciting though, the hard work is all done, now it's polishing and presentation, plus deciding on final features time."

      As a graphic designer; this is the part I enjoy too; adding the visual pop to a project.

      Shall stay tuned. :)

      Delete
    3. I just checked out your stuff Seb, very nice!

      Delete
  5. Nicely done, Spacejacker. I'm looking forward to the advent of the commercial set of Throwdown-put me down for a set when you get closer to the time, please!
    Made whilst on hold.....that's a sickener for those of us with fingers like twiglets.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm including print n play "instant terrain" which is the next big graphics job. I want to do some more testing though before I go ahead with it. My first ideas rarely stick ;)

      Delete
  6. Nice door, and a great little concept for the build. I love working doors and this one looks very durable, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was inspired by your urban builds Joe, plus I think I've seen this mechanism elsewhere too. I was considering MDF, but these things are rock-solid so no need!

      Delete
  7. I love it, very impressed with the results!

    ReplyDelete