Wednesday, 28 March 2012

Armies Army Leader and Alien Merc


While I had the putty out the other day, I thought I'd sculpt a pair of holsters on this guy so he had 2 pistols. I really like 2 pistols.
To further trick him out, I sliced the arm off an old GZG NI squad leader and pinned it on in place of the original arm. This amounts to probably the most extensive conversion I've done on a 15mm figure, which is quite satisfying and I heartily recommend it. (You can see some in-progress shots in the workbench photostream to the right).


Of course all this was done while prepping the batch of Aliens I got last week. Here is another one, A tall fellow with a pretty meaty looking rifle. Once again from the 15mm.co.uk SMH range sculpted by Eli. As usual, agonizing over a color scheme took longer than painting the mini.

I ordered two of these with the intention of using them as goon bodyguards for the Crime Boss. He's a little big for that though, so now he's some kind of mercenary with a big support weapon.
I'm not sure the photo shows off the length of his neck because of the angle.. But he's about the same height as the Bounty Hunter I posted yesterday.

I was about to start work on another when I noticed his left hand was a blob.. The sculpting on these minis is great, but I'm not having much luck with the castings so far. No matter, he's 1/2 way to having a cybernetic hand now, just have to sculpt the fingers on when the core of the hand cures. All this sculpting is making me think I should build some more tools. So far all I use is a clay shaper and a pin bashed into a flat paddle stuck in an old paintbrush handle. To take my putty mangling to the next level I need a pin in a handle, and some tubes for pressing in circle shapes.

Thanks for looking!

20 comments:

  1. Wow, great conversions, paintjobs and sculpting. I think pretty soon we will be seeing a Spacejacker Miniatures company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe! I don't know if I have time for a whole Miniatures company.. I might try sculpting a figure soon though :)

      Delete
  2. Great, great stuff. I really love seeing your 15mm painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks WarRaptor, I really love painting so everybody wins!

      Delete
  3. Cracking conversion work on a great mini -and your clean-up on Eli's alien is no neat I'd never know there had been a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lead legion. This guy was actually fine, it's some of the others that were a bit wonky.

      Delete
  4. Spacejacker, i am sorry you have been having issues with miscasts. Have you contacted Gavin at 15mm.co.uk?

    I hope you don't mind but I have been posting your pics in a gallery on my Facebook dedicated to the work others are doing with the figs i have sculpted. It's a sort of online scrapbook.

    -Eli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying painting these guys so much that the little changes I'm making are no trouble. It was just 2 gun ends and one hand all told... I'm in no way unhappy with the purchase :) I've been on a bit of a putty bender lately too, so I'm a bit conversion happy.

      I don't mind at all if you use the images, I'm very glad you like the paintwork!

      Delete
  5. Always enjoy seeing how people interpret the sculpts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 15mm conversion... nice work! I've done a few head swaps and each time I feel like the whole figure is in peril, and I could mangle it beyond recovery at any moment. Sculpting things on with putty is a whole other ball game...

    As always the colours on the Armies Army guy are great, and the second guy will go well with your other alien RPG figures. I love his visor, it has an extremely convincing illusion of transparency which is amazing at this scale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison, the visor is the 'ol GW Gem routine again, but it gets the job done! I had to learn OSL just so I wasn't a one trick pony ;)

      Delete
  7. Hey, my man, the Jacker! It warms the cockles of my heart to see your figure conversions. Very sweet work indeed! "Give your troops the "whatever" they need to make your modeling heart a more happy one." Eli's sculpts are fabulous. I am collecting a bunch of them for ...further adventures with outer-space aliens and the Meyers clan. The aliens will be puttied-costumed for the particular scenario(s) they will be involved in. Putty is our friend! Keep a wet edge, Jacker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it Jay, thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  8. Really like the conversion. Anything which adds some individualism to a force is always great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, I'm almost done with my first unit and I still love these guys!

      Delete
  9. Another really nice conversion, and another set of great paint jobs, especially the alien with that visor, really nicely done. That's the great thing about 15mm, for conversions it's not expensive to get things to use for parts, and if it goes wrong it's not expensive to get more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ace! You're so right. I spent vastly more on paint, glue, modeling supplies and storage than I ever do on figures.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Kardul bodyguard with custom cyber fist! Wait.. Putty not dry.. Prang Soldier (to me he's a ship captain) with converted blaster. The barrel was all twisted so I lopped it off and made a new one.

      Delete
  11. That Prang was sculpted as a captain for a crew. I was a bit disappointed that his robust blaster didn't cast right.

    ReplyDelete