Thursday, 23 February 2012

Vulk Missileman

Vulk smash!

This is a Khurasan Vulk Missileman from the (still unreleased) Jasmine Throne Foreign Battalion range. He's huge (mounted on a 25mm base) and most certainly alien!

Full background details can be read here.

His big claws were slightly worrying from a modeling point of view so I tried to bend them both to approximately the same length and anchored one of them to his knee and the other to the base during assembly. I tried to do it in a way that looked natural. The claws also confused the heck out of my camera, so the shots are a little blurry.

Even though he's supposed to carry a missile weapon, it looked more like a beam cannon to me, so I painted the end of it as a lens.

My choice of white carapace armor is making these guys very slow, but I'm getting through them one at a time. Next is the female rifle trooper!

I am sorely in need of some dullcote.. I must remember to order some soon before my unvarnished minis outnumber the varnished.

Comparison with 20mm based troops
Long Live The Legion!

13 comments:

  1. This is definitely going to be my #1 army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely going to be my number 1 slowest army! ;)

      Delete
  2. That Vulk Missileman is excellent. Great paintjob.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear these will be released in 2017! Just around the corner!

    Okay, sarcasm off, I couldn't help myself. These look great, and what a fantastic range! A Legion paintjob is the only way to fly with these guys, plus it's nice and neutral so all those xenos skin hues will really pop.

    The Garn missile trooper adds some large size variation but I hope they'll spread the wealth. Maybe two or three small critters to fit on the same base? Maybe a large mech-type with a small pilot. We definitely need that little protoplasm guy who can put himself back together after being blown up. I'm getting rusty, I forget his name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coolest thing about a Legion unit is that you can put just about any figure with a gun you like in it, just give it the black and white uniform!

      I'm rather desperate for the Garm Missleman/baboon unit myself, but I keep remembering how much I have to paint already.

      Delete
  4. YEs a Legion Paint Job is the Only way to go. and Buy a boat load of Guncrabs for the Harrkonan(sp) and you have the AL right there. Can't wait. 2 of each of these for me as soon as he puts them up. And once I see the armor, It may be worth using a couple of the Super Garns, a Kark or two, a Lamphrey, and an Orca, Maybe a wasp dude, and a few others already in my collection to form a new squad, or mix in with the first 4.

    Your paintjobs are ace as ususal. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers LA, I'm thinking of maybe hitting my guncrabs with a translucent orange glaze..

      Delete
    2. Awesome. The HArkolans(correct spelling from my miss above) were that great orangey color. They will be perfect.

      Delete
  5. Hi, Jacker: the varmints are lookin' good. That orange critter may soon be recruited into a troop of Martians I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Gecko is really cool. There are plenty of other great aliens in this range though, more coming!

      Delete
  6. Awesome work as always Space Jacker. How you manage to make 15mm figures look so crisp and clean is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      How I manage it is: Patience (I paint one figure at a time unless it's something like guncrabs) a brush with a good point and thinned paint.

      Delete