Sunday, 19 February 2012

Throwdown Progress

Old, printer-killing design


The fist change I've made to Throwdown is toning down the cards so they will be less stressful to the home printer. I liked how they looked, but they really would have ravished most people's ink cartridges.

New, less inky cards.

Other than that, I came up with a really slick (IMHO) solo mechanic that doesn't require the Automated opponent to draw a hand of cards. I've really enjoyed it in my test games.

In line with this, I've replaced using a snap-fire card on the figure of your choice with using it to "set overwatch" instead. This is a bit more limiting, but that is actually a good thing as it forces the player to plan ahead a little, and it most importantly it means that you don't need to randomize if the AI player has a snap fire card in hand. Now either side may or may not set up overwatch using the same (now renamed) card when available. 

The next biggest change I made was to change the Assault card into a move+attack instead of just a close combat attack. It really helped make close combat more of an option and made beast-type figures actually dangerous.

I really stressed myself trying to think up a word that was different to Overwatch, but I caved in and just went with it in the end.

Finally, I added a game mechanic for one-liners. I'm not joking.

The game plays very smoothly and fast (IMHO again.. Lets see what the playtests reveal) and has quite a different feel to most systems. 

I have sent out a very limited number of initial test copies, and will be sending a couple more in the next few days. If you have not received one, you are not forgotten, I just have to be careful how many I have on the go at this stage, more will be forthcoming.

Cheers!



15 comments:

  1. This sounds great, looking forward to hearing the play test feedbacks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Monty, I'm keen to hear some feedback. I'm frequently reduced to Solo gaming, not being a member of a club, or having any local opponents, so this could be something for me! Hope it all runs well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the play tests go well. What about giving players both card options in the final product, the really nice colour cards and the more printer friendly but drab cards. This way they can print out the version they want but while play testing, the printer friendly ones would be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea.I might actually just make a full color and a bare bones set and include both. The issue is that it takes enough time working on one set of cards as it is.

      The current design was based on the early version of the rules, in which the card's color was important.. That is no longer important, so a card redesign is probably worth looking at before release.

      Delete
  4. Forgive an old man's poor memory, but are these some homebrewed rules?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure are Chris! I'm intending to e-publish them once I'm happy with them.

      Delete
    2. My bad, I must have missed your first post on these rules! I look forward to seeing what you produce!

      Delete
    3. No problem Chris, this is my main non-painting focus at the moment, so I'm hoping to iterate rapidly and distribute soon ;)

      Delete
  5. Very nice. I do like the look of the original card, buts the ink-saving option is a nice one and very good looking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good call with the printer friendly version but the originals do look really good. How many in a set? Really looking forward to this - yet more Spacejacker inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are 54. I redesigned them once again last night, I'm doing an even more printer friendly version and then colouring it to supply both ;)

      Delete
  7. I forgot these were for solo gaming or I'd have volunteered earlier, but I'd be delighted to give the trial rules a few run-outs if you need extra testers. What is the timescale on the average game? I only get to go to a club once a month (if that) because of shifts and a young family so it sounds very inviting to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I liked how they looked, but they really would have ravished most people's ink cartridges."

    Me too; I felt a million colour pixels fade out, desaturated in unison, it drew me to this blog post from across the internet.

    Fun aside, gorgeous art, look forward to your sample spreads during promo :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found this blog following links from SoloNexus. The Throwdown projects sounds very good to me. I hope you will be able to publish the game soon :)

    ReplyDelete