Thursday, 2 February 2012

Proxie Models Ruins

2 bags were used to make what you see.
A while ago, I ordered some ruined building sprues from Proxie Models in the US.

Proxie models is a one man operation and he casts his own designs in plastic. The prices are very reasonable and are a boon to the 15mm gamer.

I have long thought of urban ruins as the best terrain for a small skirmish. My main influence here would be from early days playing Necromunda and realizing that we were having a lot more fun on a 4x4 table using vertical space than we ever did on a 6x4 table that looked like a farmstead crossed with a golf course...

The ruins sprues are made of a hard black plastic. The detail is not incredibly crisp, somewhat similar to plastic army men. Once I'd snipped them apart I decided to add some more detail while I was glueing them together.

The first thing I did was assemble them with superglue. It seems to be holding well. The second thing I did was to use PVA to glue sand on the exposed edges. The existing edges were kind of rounded off looking.

Some bits and pieces from GZG and The Scene got glued on, as well as some resin pipe works from Old crow. I filled in a few of the window holes with foamcore and coffee stirrers to add some tactical interest.

Walls 1-3

Walls 4-5

Due to the shapes I chose to build, I ended up with 2 short pieces that I glued to either end of a piece of foamcore. I hacked up the edge with a craft blade and am quite happy with how it turned out.

Wall 6

Paint-wise, they were heavily overbrushed with citadel foundation adeptus battlegrey, then washed with an ink/kleer mix of black and peat brown. They were then drybrushed with various greys and patches of knarloc green to ease the uniformity. It's a subtle effect, but make s a difference.

I used the same scheme for my resin pieces from Ramshackle Games, and the two sit together well on the table. The resulting battle-scape is closer to post-apocalyptic than hard sci-fi, but it will do well for both types of game. 


19 comments:

  1. those ruins look good. I didn't know this brand, and i might have a look someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on these. All of the bits you added really raise the level of detail. The addition of the sand to the edges was brilliant. I wish I had thought to do that. Thanks for posting these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, I've been meaning to post about this for a while because I think it's a great product. The additional detail was very easy, and if I was doing WW2 or modern I would have just left them as-is.

      Delete
  3. Wow...they look great! Very versatile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay, this lot goes with my un-based pieces for maximum modularity. I can never decide if I prefer dioramic terrrain pieces or singular ones!

      Delete
  4. Very, very nice. Especially with the extra bits, I was thinking about picking some of these up for my 15mm mordheim games...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do a very nice gothic sprue as well. Both would work for Mordhiem, possibly with some balsa wood timberwork glued to the outside for extra credit!

      Delete
  5. I like what you have done with these. I have been looking at them, nice to see them painted and built with some commentary. Helps to form an opinion.

    I have thought about using the game craft building shells for 6mm and 15mm, but haven't seen anyone review them yet. I need some quick ruins for all of my Khurasan Post Apoc goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Game craft makes some nice stuff. I went with these because I didn't want to have to do too much work adding relief detail.

      Delete
  6. Looks great! Love the additions of the mechanical parts. I definitely agree that games using more 3-D space add a lot more to the fun of the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ferret! I am reminded of the mini-platforms I keep meaning to build...

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the heads up about these! You've done your usual masterful job on them. As said above, they should be very flexible for several theatres.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries. I spent months bemoaning the lack of decent 15mm generic ruins.. Then these came along so I couldn't refuse. I have 2 bags left that I'm considering basing.

      Delete
  8. These pieces take well to drybrushing even without primer or a basecoat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good point, I did exactly that, a huge time saver for terrain.

      Delete
  9. I'm going to steal your Old Crow pipes idea... been wondering what to do with mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I never built the terrain that would have used them on the ground, so they have found a good use here. Looking forward to seeing yours :)

      Delete
  10. Very nice work on those little fellas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Pete, hopefully I'll take some photos of it set up soon.

    ReplyDelete