Wednesday, 15 February 2012

Guncrabs! New Painting Techniques!

Guncrab on 20mm round base

Jon has previewed these figures on TMP, so I can unveil the mighty Khurasan Guncrabs here today!
I love these figures, which are a part of the Stikks faction and take the place of biological power-armor.

Painting these was interesting, as I tried some new approaches. First off, I chose a bone scheme, so I could use these alongside my Micropanzer aliens and my Khurasan Parachnids. The Guncrabs have 6 limbs, so fit better with the Micropanzer figs than GZG crusties.

Using inks to tint a monochrome shaded figure is a recent technique I wanted to give a try. It's not really a replacement for my usual style, but it's a great compliment to it and gets some very pleasing results with a lot less fuss.

I basecoated the figure in Citadel Denheb Stone, a pale buff color. Next I Citadel Devlan Mud washed the whole mini, then drybrshed Denheb Stone back on, doing some minor touch-ups while I was at it.
This is pretty normal for a bug mini, but Jon asked for a darker color in between the armor plates. On my test figure I painted bright red in and hoped the wash would tie it all together.. It didn't.

Instead I used Ogryn flesh wash painted in between the armor plates and slopped around major joints. I did another coat when dry, in places it was still too pale. I then used tiny dabs of Vallejo violet ink in the same areas to create a bit more contrast.

I picked out the eyes and weapons in black before painting them in last. The eyes were just painted white, then hit with a violet ink wash to tint the edges, which worked well and is a lot easier than dotting in highlights. I weathered the boltgun metal on the gun with Citadel Gryphonne Sepia wash.




I really like these minis and am really glad Jon has previewed them because I'm keen to feature them in some games! I'm busting to show you the other new figures I've done for Khurasan, but we will all just have to be patient.

21 comments:

  1. Fine work on those - they look like a great concept and really nicely sculped too.
    Damn - just when I had repressed my urge to ditch my 25mm stuff and move to 15mm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, they are fine models indeed.
    As for your 25mm collection, Just box it all up, store it carefully and move to 15mm, then you can avoid future ditching regret and enjoy 15mm today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful! and such fun minis too, great menacing aliens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "menacing" nails it exactly, love these guys.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Cheers Jay, I'm getting more and more into using washes these days.

      Delete
  5. Great job. I like your bone paint job. These came out just excellently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are nice sculpts but they remind me too much of tyranids and the pistol looks like a shuriken from certain angles. Still the tucked away set of legs is a beautiful touch. Great job with the brushes...

    Sorry to be off topic but the cyborg in your banner is that from the Scene or somewhere else??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome. Can't wait for these. And when is he going to release the alien legion guys too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think they are not far off, the final squad is being painted (not by me) and then I think they will be out.

      Delete
    2. I assume they are the Steve Dean ones that have been everywhere. I'd like to see your take on them. Mine will be white armor.

      And these guncrabs without the guns would be great extra super mutated Sponks for Fallout.

      Delete
  8. I must have missed the TMP preview but I'll be getting some of these. Thanks for the painting tips too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are very cool, your new technique suits them.

    I'm with Lead Addict, it seems a lot of the Khurasan pipeline stuff is woefully not making it into shopping carts! These guys look a lot like an Alien Legion adversary, the Harkalons. Couple them with the Jasmine Throne figs and you've some bestsellers.

    I know this had nothing to do with you, just venting, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Harks were the BEST Legion adversary!

      Yes, I'm impatiently awaiting the JSB myself, I have a few Jon sent me (which I'm very grateful for) but I'm missing the Garn Missileman pack.. I love that Garn! I think Khurasan is a victim of it's own success right now.. I don't know any other 15mm manufacturer that releases as many figures, let alone of such quality and imagination. I can wait, plenty of metal in the pile already! ;)

      Delete
  10. Very nice indeed! And excellent timing on the use of inks and washes. It's something I have wanted to use more when painting, so I'll be sure to try some of the techniques you mentioned here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Top job as always, Spacejacker! I like the ink technique you describe-I must broaden my horizons and have a go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good job on these, you nailed 'em great!

    ReplyDelete