Friday, 10 February 2012

Desktop board mk2



For solo gaming, it turns out that (in my current flat) the ideal place for a solo game is at my desk so I can read docs/type a report on my computer while I play, and more importantly the game will not get "tidied up" by my girlfriend.
Due to my recent burst of gaming enthusiasm for Combat Cards, I decided to build a gridded board that I could use my 3d terrain on. The results were cheap and easy, but I'm sure I will build a better one at some stage.
The ingredients are pretty simple. 16x16" square of Foam core, wallpaper, paint, sharpie marker and ruler.


Why 16x16? Because combat cards uses a system of measuring that is based on division by 2. Very long range is the longest board edge, Long range is half that, medium range is half that etc. A 16" long board means that the smallest increment is 1". Coincidentally, it's also the perfect size to fit on the side of my desk as you can see here.

The terrain is all my Proxie models walls and Ramshackle Games resin pieces. The walls fit very well along the grid lines, and most of the resin pieces sit well on the grid. A couple of them are a bit thin and I'm considering making bases for them. I know many folks prefer free measuring in a game, but it's something I endure as a necessary evil at best. Having a gridded board means I don't have to measure, which helps me feel immersed.

9 comments:

  1. That is very cool. Creative, yet simple, and effective. Excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys, I feel like I've finally zeroed in on a good play area and will be focussing my terrain to fit from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree 100% with your sentiment about measuring being a necessary evil at best.

    I played my first game on a grid recently and found it highly enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. at least 50% of our arguments back in the day were started by measuring distance, especially in games that make you declare before measuring.. A particularly stupid rule.

      Delete
  4. Reading this just gives me the idea that it would be feasible for me to start all kinds of low-cost mini-projects for rules and periods I might otherwise not game. I might have to stop reading your blog!!!

    Seriously though, great work and very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 15mm scale gaming allows you to assemble a force for the same price as a single "premium" 28mm model. I love it.

      Delete
  5. Whatever happened to your 3D Spaceship Tiles? I've been meaning to email you about those as I've been thinking of doing some as well.

    As for your above board; looks good and fits your needs perfectly. How do you handle diagonal movement/shooting ranges?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to paint the last 2 of a set of 9. They look nice but are a bit difficult to store, and I'm not happy with the slightly wonky hand-cut foamcore edges. My advice would be to get some laser cut MDF for the bases so it all lines up right.

      I was allowing a single diagonal space to be counted in any one move/measure, but for my new rules I'm considering just taking the iTEN approach and not caring about it, allowing 8 way movement. It's a bit iffy, but it's wayyy easier to both write and to enforce.

      Delete