Friday, 20 January 2012

Gruntz Imperator Mech

Imperator with Khurasan Exterminator marine for scale

Robin from Gruntz very kindly sent me an Imperator Mech which arrived today. It's a beautiful kit, very clean and no bubbles. Some of the sprue is very thick so I will need to get hold of a razor saw before I start assembling it.
The style is perfect for my collection. It's clearly a humanoid robot shape, with a manipulator hand and head-like cockpit, and to my eyes has a little bit of my favorite battletech mech's soul in it..  The Battlemaster (nicked from the Dougram anime). The 85-tonner was not the most finely tuned mech in the classic game, but I sure wreaked a lot of havok with it's quad lasers, 6-pack and PPC back in the day.

Soltic/Bigfoot from Dougram


Robin began the Gruntz project right about the time I was starting this blog. It has been both a pleasure and an inspiration to watch the project go from some homebrewed rules, to a platinum selling PDF rulebook, to a whole product range including counters and miniatures. This mech represents the fruit of all of Robin's hard work and I'm honored to own one.

3 comments:

  1. The artist David White was briefed to give it an early Dougram type feel. There are also 3 other designs which should be underway with the sculptor now which have a similar retro feel to them. Good luck with the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Imperator is a really cool mech! It's at the top of my the 2012 15mm requisition list. Can't wait to see how you paint it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too await the paint job you will bring to this fine machine. Excellent design on that, just awesome!

    ReplyDelete