A while ago, Steve from Mad Robot Miniatures contacted me about painting the Harook which were being sculpted at the time by the awesome Pedro Navarro AKA Mr. Bug man.
Steve was shooting for a Dec 1 release, but with postage from Chicago, I only got them in hand with a couple of days to spare. I did them as fast as I could, which wasn't too hard because these are great minis to paint. They pack in a ton of detail but are sculpted with those details fairly easy to to hit with a brush, and the models themselves are quite large, most of them around 20mm tall. Each model in the set of 10 is a unique sculpt, which helps keep it interesting. They have a really nice set of combat poses too.
Dropship Horizon has already scooped me on this post, but here are the full front and back photos of my paint jobs:
Armor: Vallejo Dark sand with GW Devlan mud wash. Highlighted with original color.
Skin: GW Dwarf flesh, washed with GW Ogryn flesh wash and highlighted with GW Bronzed flesh.
Feathers: Base coated with GW Iyanden Darksun, washed a little along with the skin, highlighted with Vallejo flat yellow, then again with some white mixed in.
Grey areas were done with GW Codex grey with a Badab black wash, then again with the codex grey.
The guns were Black, highlighted up with Adeptus battlegrey and eventually codex grey.
The gun lights were done with Vallejo Lime green, washed with Vallego green ink and highlighted again with Lime green.
The orange suit lights were Vallejo Orange Red, highlighted with a bit of yellow mixed into the base color.
I was going to do their heads white with blackish beaks to more resemble a Sulphur crested Cockatoo
(a particularly smart, rowdy and destructive Australian native bird) but was worried that the beak would get lost in the gun. I did the flesh tone instead to make the alien features more visible and to help the body parts stand out from the weapon and suit.
Long time readers of the blog will also notice I have gone for a grey base texture, instead of my usual Calthan brown and static grass! This was firstly to make sure the suit did not get lost in the base color, and secondly because I want to start playing a lot more interior/starship corridor games, and while not strictly correct for this, it blends in better than brown dirt and clumps of grass. I may add some further details to the bitz modeled into the bases like rust etc.. But I think they look pretty good for now.