Thursday, 24 November 2011

Tomorrow's War: Strike Force competition


Osprey/Ambush Alley games are running a compettion:

Ambush Alley Games and Osprey Publishing are looking for the best Tomorrow's War painted sci-fi forces (any figures of any scale) in the world!

Grand Prize for Best army wins $200.00 USD (or the UK£ equivalent)  SRP of Osprey books
First Prize and Fan Favorite win $100.00 USD SRP each of Osprey books


...And I'm going to enter! I'm not normally into competitions because I don't like to think of painting minis as competitive, but a competition can also be a great motivational push for both productivity and creativity. It also helps if you are sponsored.

That's right, Jimbo from ACP games recently contacted me , proposing that ACP would provide the models if I wanted to have a stab at this event. An incredibly generous offer! I agreed (of course) And I really want to do the guys proud, so will be covering my progress as in-depth as I can. What does this mean for you?

Some of the figures I will be painting
More tutorials! 
I hardly ever do them because it slows me down, but for a project like this I'd like to share the goodwill. I'll try to do as much additional detail and small converting as I can.. In fact my initial plan is for every piece to have a small conversion or basing element added.

Exclusives?
I am very lucky to occasionally paint unreleased models, but am usually prohibited from showing them until they are "in the wild". This makes perfect sense of course. This time around though, ACP have let me off the leash and are sending some unreleased models that I may actually blog about for a change. This is fun for me, as I get to blog about what I'm doing day to day instead of weeks after I finished painting something.

The Plan
My initial idea is to paint the strike force in a scheme very similar to the Tomwar cover. Green plating over black suits, with glowing blue visors and bits. I will do very heavy Urban rubble basing on all models.

The force is a Valkyrie supported Urban Interdiction team with an AFV command vehicle. They are conceptually veterans that specialize in city fighting. I already have some ACP infantry that I am going to do a test-paint of while I wait for the extras to arrive in the post.

My Chances
Well, I don't know. Winning isn't my main goal here though, it's a fun blogging and painting project first and foremost. I'm expecting fierce opposition.
If I do win, I will either donate or distribute the bulk of the prize, minus one copy of tomorrow's war of course, as I don't have one yet. ;)

Vote Spacejacker!


7 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to seeing your work on the ArtCrime figures. And the cover artwork should be a good color scheme.

    Hopefully this contest gets lots of entries... we can always use more 15mm eye candy!

    -Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really looking forward to seeing the completed minis. The ACP Nationalists are really nice figures, and after you work your magic I know they'll be the front runner in the contest. You'll set the bar for everyone else. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! Really looking forward to this project, I've wanted to see more ACP stuff to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your painting is some of the best I have seen in this scale, definitely the Kevin Dallimore of the 15mm world. Good luck with the competition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on having been chosen. I know you'll do a great job, and I am looking forward to the tutorials and your progress. Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shucks fellas.. There are a lot of folks out there better than me, but thank you all for the encouragement, I'm gonna need it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice one, I shall follow your progress with interest - go for it!

    ReplyDelete