Sunday, 20 November 2011

Solopalooza Night 4: Death Angel!


I figured it out!

Well, after a morning walk and delicious fry-up, I read back over the Death Angel rules and started playing. Like all card/board games I try to play solo, it's difficult to get going at first as there's nobody else around to help remember everything.. But still, once I'd played a few turns the game is actually very easy to understand and run. 

I played a lot of the original Space Hulk board game and loved it. The key thing about Space Hulk was/is the tension. As the marine player you knew you were only ever a hair's breadth from your bolter jamming and meeting your death under an avalanche of Genestealer claws. I have been meaning to get back into this realm with VPG's Forlorn Hope, but haven't got around to it. Mainly because I tried to recreate the whole thing in miniature and to be honest, it was too big a job.

But I digress. Death Angel does an admirable job of re-creating the atmosphere of tension that the board game did , with just a few columns of cards.

Each turn you choose which actions your terminators will perform, Attack, Move or support. Each option has additional strategic benefits depending on what combat teams you have chosen. The Assault cannon gets to shoot 3 times with an attack instead of 1 for example.

Then the Genestealers get a swipe at your troops. Like in the board game, they are fairly ineffective singly, but once a few build up, you are in serious danger of losing some men.

Then you resolve an event cards and the dirty Genestealers scuttle about.. That's it, start a new turn.

The game is set up into several locations, each one requiring you to exhaust or destroy one of the blip decks set up when you enter it. In all the games I played there were 3 locations. I lost all 3 of the games I played.

Game 1: Messed up what happens when a marine dies and had to start over.
Game 2: Got positively slaughtered in the second and third turns by some really nasty Genestealer attacks. I limped on but was quickly overwhelmed.
Game 3: I made it to the Toxicarium (Toxic-something or other anyway) and was 1 roll of the dice from victory, but with only 1 marine left, I got overwhelmed at the last second. Epic stuff!

Brilliant little game, if you like the Space hulk theme and enjoy a good card game this will not disappoint. I think it would be pretty good fun with more people as well.

I'm going to spend the rest of the evening painting minis, as I haven't done any of that yet and I have a lot to get going on. Some really big news regarding the AAG Tomorrow's War Strike force competition, but that will have to wait for the moment.

I am so excited about TRWNN/Street Violence that I'm going to work on V2.0 cards and chits then play some more games tomorrow on my modular terrain that I've just realized I've never actually used.


1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to seeing how TRWNN/Street Violence progresses. I've been looking at bolting on some ideas from a few other systems I like.

    Gave in and ordered the pukka rulebook from Foundry in their half price sale.

    ReplyDelete