Sunday, 16 October 2011

Crom Rules Playtest

Mini Crom setup

Okay, so I just played a 1.5 games of Crom Solo. Here's a quick report.

1. Played the original Conan Movie soundtrack. It was ace.

2. Set up a small board using Heroscape terrain.

3. Used the stats on the main Crom page for 3 cultist Minions (KM Octo cultists with tridents), a wizard priest (KM Octo high priest) and a shaggy beast (Blue moon Twanax) pitted against 3 heroes.
Krugg the Hacker (10, 2h sword),
Wulfgar Graytrousers (6, sword and shield)
Shevra (7, 2 swords)

4. no scenario. Used full rules plus my add-ons. Didn't bother with summoning, just let the priest use his magic dice to throw ranged attacks. Used colored chits drawn from a bag to determine initiative.

Results: Gave up halfway cause I lost track of what I was doing. The measuring was quite annoying, but the ranged combat (which requires it) was cool.

I started again, this time placing a gem objective on top of the hill. To achieve a major victory, Krugg and his companions had to grab the Gem and get off the table. Just getting the Gem off the table counted as a minor victory. This is what you see in the photo

Enemy actions:
On activation, an enemy model rolled a d6 to determine it's target. 1-3 the objective, 4-6 kill nearest Player figure.

Despite my last post on the matter, I quickly re-adopted my hex movement rules. They worked absolutely fine and I definitely prefer them now. Who'da thunk it.

Movement: declare your target hex. Roll your move dice. 3+ is required to enter an empty hex, 4+ is required to enter a rough terrain hex or climb up a ledge hex. Dice that do not meet the required target for the hex are used up.

In practice I found that the movement was still uncertain (and therefore suspenseful) but much easier and faster than measuring. The weapon ranges were no problem either.

Long reach weapons can attack an adjacent hex, short reach weapons can attack a figure in the same hex as the attacker. 

I counted the tridents and Krugg's 2h sword as long reach weapons.

The +1 advantage for elevation proved fun. The push-back rules were good, but slightly modified:

Player figures: May convert as many hits as they like into push back results. A Push back  is one hex, directly away from the hex-side that the attacker entered through (effectively away from the attacker) the attacker follows up.


Enemy figures: Will convert the first hit into a push back if possible, but must take the rest as hits. Monsters are never pushed back.


Solid scenery or sheer drops may not be pushed back into, take a hit instead. Difficult terrain or ledges can be pushed back into, but the defender will fall if the attacker rolled any 6's in their attack. Fallen figures lose all their remaining dice for the turn, but hop up at the start of their next turn.

It worked out really well! I definitely need to make a deck of cards or chits  for initiative purposes, but that won't be hard.

My weapon rules were okay, but I think they need to be less granular. for example:

1h weapons- as normal rules. Reach= same hex
2h weapons- +1 hit (!) can't use initiative dice. Reach = adjacent hex
Spears- as normal rules. Reach = adjacent hex


Light armor or shield- absorbs 1 hit*
Heavy armor or light armor+shield- absorbs 2 hits*


*Not tested

Scenarios are going to be key here. I think the next step is to write a couple of simple scenarios. And maybe some more interesting magic spells.

Great fun!

3 comments:

  1. I'm Glad you're having fun with the rules, even with amendments (I get that, it's a gamer thing :)). I'm running a convention game of 8 linked scenarios at the beginning of November and after that I'll be posting the scenarios and encounters. Maybe there'll be some ideas there you can use. -Matakishi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matakishi- they really are a lot of fun and very good for the solo gamer. My amendments are really very minor. Thanks for making them available!

    I want to either write a solo campaign generator like ItEN, or possibly try to use "barbarian prince" (an solo old micro game from dwarfstar) as a meta game.

    ReplyDelete