Thursday, 6 October 2011

CD based terrain tour

UNSC Command figure by GZG

"Good morning ladies, welcome to orienteering on your new home, the planet Brown. Now listen up, we have a lot to cover!"

Low cover

"You will notice that all the terrain on this new world is based on CD's.. That's right, ordinary CD's. Why you ask? Because, they are uniform in shape, made of a sturdy plastic, a good size for a 15mm scale terrain feature. Most of all, they are cheap or free. Just tape over the hole in the middle and you are good to go soldier."

GZG colony shacks and container

reverse angle

"Here are some metal cast shacks from GZG. Also note the large metal container. These products are packed with detail and assemble fairly easily with superglue. Mounting them on a CD makes them easy to deploy and to store... Although they are damn heavy so 2 CDs glued together were needed to stop the base flexing. Spin the CD for a different battlefield orientation. The colors are bright so they are not boring, but follow a limited palette so they all go together well."

More colony shacks and an air vent

reverse angle

"You will see these shacks are painted in less bright colors but have a lot of beat-up exposed metal. Apart from some Lego tires, this base is more open for variety, or loose object placement."

Aquarium plants and rocks

Different Aquarium plants and rocks

"These are new improved forest sections.  Hot glue was used to fix the flexible plastic plants to the CDs. The ugly transparent look was defeated by using Citadel Foundation paint mixed 50/50 with PVA, then heavily stippled onto the plants. The PVA stops the paint flaking off. That's right, it's fine! Yes there is another one, but they look basically the same."

21 comments:

  1. really like that GZG figure and the plants are very cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent job with these. You proved that those plastic plants can actually look good. I have quite a lot of them (not based yet and I only deployed them separately so far) and will most likely follow your idea of stippling paint on them.

    Congrats on excellent scenery.
    I love the way you added the cliff to the first forest-covered CD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been using some CD/DVDs recently for basing 15mm building so I totally agree with this.

    I am doing all my sci-fi terrain with a red/brown terrain and I think after seeing your aquarium plants I will be taking a trip to the pet shop...

    Nice stuff, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys 2 important points:

    Remember to mix PVA with the paint! Otherwise it will fall off. I used citadel foundation paint because it's extremely heavy in pigment so it still covers wen mixed 50/50 with glue.

    Also, the pet shop can be pricey. I got mine in a huge bag from ebay for about £5. Also if you are in the UK check out:
    http://www.productsforwargamers.com/terrain/jungleplants.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's some lovely scenery - very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! I love the vibrant colors you used. All metallic and grays get boring fast. Those GZG Colony Shacks are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clever solution for terrain basing, it should look so nice on the table and you can even make small cd based dioramas etc... Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely done on the GZG buildings. I'll be the first to admit that mine are quite boring. :) I've used old/misburned CDs for a few different projects. They're free, handy and a great size for 15mm terrain pieces.

    @IronMammoth - I'm not sure about Poundland in the UK, but one can find tons of cheap plants at US dollar stores. It's a better alternative than aquarium shops.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice terrain! Well done!

    Are the rocks/cliffs aquarium pieces as well? I've got several "batches" of aquarium plants that I usually disperse randomly on the table...I've been considering mounting them on CDs, so your timing for this is perfect!

    Thanks!
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  10. Apone- The cliff thing on the 1st forest photo is the ceramic weight from the bottom of a plant strand, with sand PVA mix on top. The rocks are just small rocks from the garden. If you want to fix these things to CD's I strongly recommend a hot glue gun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How many of these are you intending on making? It seems to me that if you had a large group of them you could play a very nice 3D version of Lost Patrol - which conveniently for you is rather easy to play solo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the tip! Fortunately, I do have a hot glue gun...it may get tested this weekend!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cool... like the buildings alot

    ReplyDelete
  14. Xerus- I plan on making enough that I can play 5150 using just my zuzzy mat and a bunch of these. Also, I'm convinced there's a cool game to be written using only CD's touching edges as a map...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay, I'm convinced. I'm putting some of my shacks and miscellaneous terrain on CD's so I can create little scenes like this. Lego tires? Brilliant!! Why didn't I think of that?

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is genius! I'll be putting my old CDs to good use now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is some very NICE terrain work Bro...Hellz YEAH!

    ReplyDelete