Wednesday, 20 April 2011

Forlorn: Hope board, Ruins themed.

Squares are 25mm
 While trying to figure out the best way to make some 3d boards for Forlorn: Hope, I was bothered that I wouldn't be able to use my existing collection of minis as they would have the "wrong" basing. Picky, but I'm like that.

So as a side project, I came up with this alternate board which is painted in the same way as my previous minis' bases. The theme is meant to be fairly generic, inspired by the 3d boards I've seen for Incursion. This board could be for horror, pulp, or just dirtside factory ruins. The irony is that I still haven't built the sci-fi version despite going on a massive deckplate-basing crusade (see last post).

I have grand plans of modding the FH rules to play squad battles on the same map. For now, proxying in zombies for xenos should be fun in itself.

Here are some WIP shots of building the board.

Mosaic tiles. Enough for 2-3 boards cost about £5

Black Foamcore box, carved blue styrene walls

Carving detail
All painted up
Removable plastic doors
Ready for action

Te board is mostly finished.. I think it could use some bloodstains and more decoration, and possibly model on something to represent the entry points.

This has got me keen to do both the same map as a "proper" spaceship interior, and a set of post-apoc modular sections using the leftover mosaic tiles.

I'm going to build the spaceship tiles out of 25mm hollow lipped square bases from em-4, with diamond plate plasticard inserts. The walls will be made of Hirst arts industrial edge pieces once I find someone to cast the bits I need. It should be fairly inexpensive in the end.

Thanks for looking!

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful job. Great detailed carving on the walls and I love the way you made the doors. I'm looking forward to seeing the space-themed board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that (mosaic tiles & foam walls) is a very smart idea!
    Great execution too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, sir, You are true genius!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very, very impressive. Inspirational too - many thanks :)

    Regards,

    Monty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers everyone, your encouragement is inspiring as always!

    This project was really very achievable in terms of cost (under £30 I think) and time.

    And for my next set of Xenos I'll go with the Khurasan range.. sculpting all the Hatchlings and bases is wearing me down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nicely done. May steaql this idea for a d&d board dungeon crawl...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic board, it's really inspired me to make a fantasy/dungeon board. Where did you get the mosaic tiles from? All the ones I've seen have been at the very least three times more expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got the tiles from mosa​ictileshop.​co.uk

    Each sheet of tiles was £4.50 but the postage was £7 due to the weight. Still a lit cheaper than the resin and hydrostone alternatives I was looking at.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking board. Is it fixed in place or can it be altered to create different maps ?

    ReplyDelete