Tuesday, 8 February 2011

Surprise: 15mm starship deck plans!

Mockup cover
I have been hard at work on a long-forgotten project.. The 15mm deck plans that just keep getting hits despite me rarely mentioning them anymore..

In an effort to actually finish them I decided to scale back my initial idea to something more achievable. If they sell, I'll add all the special bits I have planned.

The  will be a set of 5x5, 3x3, 5x3, 1x3 tiles of 20mm squares. There will be enough variety to make a decent looking layout and I am planning on several different door types. I've done this first basic set  with a 'clean' look for reasonably well maintained ships and facilities. The black borders represent walls, so it is up to the customer to decide where the doors go to connect the pieces. This means you don't need dedicated junctions or corners... Very flexible.
 
In future I have planned a rusted up junk-freighter set, an alien hive set, as well as more accessories.

I've finished most of the tiles, just need to do the doors and tile spacers.. maybe add a little more detail. By the end of the week I hope to have them submitted to RPGnow and then hopefully for sale!

8 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how excited I am by this prospect! My only concern would be that they share enough in common that they give the feel of all belonging on a single ship. The red lights are interesting, for instance, but it would work best if all of the lighting (of that type...floor lighting, it looks like) were red throughout. Otherwise the mind starts wondering why one section of the ship has red floor lighting and another has, for example, green.

    But the thing I'm REALLY jonesing for is the junk freighter set. I prefer my sci fi gritty.

    GREAT STUFF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not into paper terrain, but your art is excellent man.
    Very nice looking pieces here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers guys, it's nice to be getting somewhere with this.

    Joseph- I'm thinking of these more as inexpensive floors.. I want to make minis for all the furniture.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well in this scale a well done card with texture is not much different from actual textured terrain...is it?
    ;)
    I just prefer the texture because I want holes in the ground and floor for real.
    So you are going to do some furniture too?

    You go boy!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look stunning! Good luck getting them sold. Also try wargamesvault - you might find they offer the affiliate hook up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice looking tiles! Definitely interested in picking some of these up and I have to say it would be interesting to use something like these for Battlestations as well. Definitely interested in seeing what else you have up your sleeve with this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I might do a slicker version of the battlestations tiles as digital art, but I was kind of hoping to make some 3d modular furniture that could be used to make battlestations modules out of the existing 5x5 tiles in my PDF set.

    Learning to use Zbrush (I only know 3DsMax and don't use a PC at home) and then getting them 3d printed is a bit more of a hassle than just drawing all the stuff in.. But I think it will be worth it. On the other hand I could try using putty, but I don't like my chances ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Update: it turns out there are several ways to use sketch up files fir 3d printing... And I'm pretty handy with Sketchup so my 15mm starship furniture masters may be closer than I thought :)

    ReplyDelete