Friday, 17 December 2010

Custom Hex Terrain


Ive just had my first go at repainting Heroscape hex tiles and making some terrain to fit them.
I painted them with GW Calthan brown, washed with a future-wax and tobacco ink mix, drybrushed with Vallejo light brown, sealed with matt varnish. They are a little bit chalky and I think some of the paint will come off with repeated use.. But the plastic underneath is almost the same color so it shouldn't be a big problem. (I had to use my iPhone to take the photos, so excuse the slightly wonky colours.)

Basic Heroscape tiles repainted. Rebel Minis Titan Marines for scale.

I glued some of my twist-tie trees to plastic sheet cut into hexes to use as foliage/light cover hexes. I'm not 100% satisfied with these.. The twist tie trees shed paint if bent at all and I want to try something more durable. In the short term they look fine though.

Hand made plants on foliage sections

 Next, I cut some larger hexes and carved into the edges to make some urban rubble/hard cover hexes. This was a lot of fun. I used some bits from GZG and Platformer to add interest.



I'm especially pleased with how the rust turned out. It reminds me a bit of Killzone 2 on the PS3. I tried painting each of these terrain pieces with the care I'd spend on a character model. I think it's worth it.


Here are all the bits arranged together. I really like how easy and quickly an interesting and attractive game board can be put together with just these few pieces.



All together with Titan Marines for scale.
 

7 comments:

  1. I like what you have done with these, very well done

    Tony
    http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice.

    I do love the trees - the are so much better than my attempt with fish tank bits :-)

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  3. These turned even better than I had imagined, nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks people! My fish tank bits arrived today so expect a deluge of forest bits once I decide how to attach them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you need anymore hex tiles - I have 3 box's of Heroscape and no intention of using them. Drop me a line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Each Tie Tree is made with quality new or recycled maple, ash,
    pine, poplar and unique wood. Tie Trees can be combined with an
    array of different fabrics and can be custom made. Our bow ties
    are easy to fasten and adjust.

    ReplyDelete